We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scary!

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
11 posts
Save Topic
Scary!

Hi guys,

I'm scared about the whole flying into Athens and getting a boat thing to Naxos. Have always done the Grwek Isand with an Airport thing (lazy) but with that comes the rest of the Brits:) so time for an adventure! please put my mind at rest. Its easyt to get to - right?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scary!

You can fly, but only if you book the Athens-Naxos leg as soon as the schedules are released (small plane) & your flight times from the UK tie in. Ferry is easy enough too, but a much longer journey time of course.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scary!

It is very easy to get to the port of Piraeus from either the airport or central Athens.Depending on flight arrival/ferry departure times you can get the express bus X96 from right outside arrivals at the airport direct to the port near the ticket offices and ferries.If you are stopping the night in Athens prior to departure,you can get the green line metro to Piraeus,the station is just across from the ferriesDepending on when you are travelling,you will have the choice of conventional ferries which take around 5 1/2 hours or the Highspeed catarmarans which do it in about 4..It is easy to get to - right !! and Naxos is worth the effort.

Essex
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scary!

Yiassas,

Thanks for that, Its all down down to foreward planning! On a completely different location, whats your views on Stoupa?

At the moment its betweenthese two destinations but to have places of interest to visit more so than anything else is crucial.

Essex
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scary!

Richard - Thank you for your post. Its going to be between Naxos and Stoupa!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scary!

skosbunny, I've replied on your other thread, including some info on Stoupa,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k45…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scary!

Hi,

I'm so old... I had to do it the other way round, initially always using flights to Athens to start and end.

In recent years taking Easyjet/Charters direct to some Greek Island and doing the island hopping from there. Much more pleasant in my view you get straight there without having to crash out in Athens Airport yet again.

OK you are a flight to an island with all the package Brits, but who cares it's not a lifetime.

So yes, it's easy from Athens to Naxos. Just get a flight at a suitable arriving time like 02:00 then about 04:00 the X96 bus straight to the port buy a ticket and you are off on the 07:25 ferry, that's it, easy.

Once you get that X96 bus and the ferries you are then mixing it with a load of nationalities from all around the world and Greeks. Same thing if you took UK Charter/Easyjet to Santorini and took the ferry to Naxos.

From your other post it seems to be only for a week, which does not allow enough time to do any island hopping and if you want something really remote could be tricky.

There are relatively remote islands very close to major tourist islands, merely a few hours away on the ferry.

Once you have sussed out the complicated ferry system around the islands it is quite easy. All the Greeks involved in the tourist services will speak excellent English, so there is no problem getting to any island however remote.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scary!

We have just returned from Naxos via Athens on the Blue Star Ferry. I was very worried as well as I didn't think I was a very good sea traveller! But can honestly say that it was lovely. Almost like a mini cruise! A bus goes to the Airport (X69) from the port for 5 euros. Sit back & relax, as this is also a nice way to see Athens as it travels along the coast. Hope this helps to reassure you! By the way Naxos is beautiful.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scary!

We have just returned from Naxos via Athens on the Blue Star Ferry. I was very worried as well as I didn't think I was a very good sea traveller! But can honestly say that it was lovely. Almost like a mini cruise! A bus goes to the Airport (X69) from the port for 5 euros. Sit back & relax, as this is also a nice way to see Athens as it travels along the coast. Hope this helps to reassure you! By the way Naxos is beautiful.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scary!

If you decide to go to Naxos, you will be surprised at how easy it is. First time jitters are natural, but you are unlikely to have any problems.

I prefer to fly into Athens and take a ferry from Piraeus. BA and Aegean Airlines have flights leaving Heathrow around 10 pm, arriving Athens about 4 am local time the next morning. Aegean, I believe, also has an earlier flight leaving London around 8 pm. These flights are perfect for the early morning ferries from Piraeus. Buy your ticket for the X96 bus in the kiosk outside Arrivals, and validate it in the little machine on the bus. It will take you straight to the Piraeus docks, and when you get off the bus you will see the ferries.

Hellenic Seaways highspeeds are painted red with Vodafone on the side, while Blue Star ferries are blue with a yellow stack. Each company has a ticket booth near the departing ferry. Boarding for the early morning ferries begins about an hour before departure, so if you arrive early you can find a seat and settle down. You will leave your luggage on the car deck, and bring your daypack with passport and valuables with you to the seat. Relax, and enjoy the sights as you sail to Naxos. :o)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scary!

Here is to give you an idea of the Blue Star fron Naxos:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town