We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

running routes

London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
running routes

Does anyone recommend somewhere in particular to stay in Naxos town where there are interesting running routes? A little bit of roads is fine, but we'd prefer tracks off road. Thank you! Nita

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,975 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: running routes

Hi Nita,

I don't know any special designed routes near town, but you may run along the prolonged part of St. George until you reach the Stelida road, follow this to Agios Prokopios and then have the whole stretch from Prokopios to Mikri Vigla to run along on the inland dirt road or along the beaches.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: running routes

Erik gave you a good advice.

I just got back home from Naxos. Each morning I ran Chora-Ag. Georgios-perpendicular to the airport runway-Stelida-Ag. Prokopios-Ag. Anna-Maragkas-Plaka and back. The road is mostly flat with a rather unproblematic exception from Stelida to Ag. Prokopios.The roads are almost empty before 8 AM. The only possibly problematic part is the road from Ag. Prokopios to Ag. Anna. The road is very narrow and meeting the morning bus may be unpleasant. I did see some runners who chose a dirt road parallel to this road but I did not try myself.

I also wandered if it was possible to pass the Dionisos temple (pass the airport building) and continue towards Agersani and thus avoid the road, however, I did not decide to discover this part.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 19:10
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,975 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: running routes

It is possible to pass the airport building and continue to where it meets the road for Agia Anna, but it is on asphalt. To pass the Dionysos temple you will have to enter the road on the bend after the supermarket, but I have not tried it for the whole stretch after the temple.

For Agia Anna from Prokopios you may enter the beach short after the taverna in the bend before the road enters the narrow area with the houses.

BTW: I arrived back from Greece late last night spending 4 nights on Naxos to attend a baptism in Koronos and one night in Athens.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 20:24
Portishead, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: running routes

There are not many non tarmac tracks that are good for runners where you wont risk injury on the rocks. Most beaches have roads running along side that are perfect. I would stick to running early in the morning or around sunset when it's cooler and traffic is at it's lowest. You can run pretty much any where you like. - Here's a cool video I made of my Greek Holiday Adventure, going from Athens, Naxos island and Paros island. As you can see there are many good places to run. ENJOY THE VIEWS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgCpZHQ_60

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,975 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: running routes

Hi,

I was expecting much from your video, but I must say I was disappointed. It is great for technical issues (like striking poses in different angles and backgrounds) but it doesn't show much of the islands nor the places you did visit.

Thanks for sharing though ! I am sure you had a great holiday !

6. Re: running routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town