We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wind

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wind

I have checked the site about the Wind questions. I love it really warm (we live in Belgium where we have enough Wind and cold).

Which islands get the least Wind ?

From your experience can you sit on the beach and feel warm and cosy or do you need a cardigan and be very imaginative not to see your books and hats flying off ?

Thank you.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wind

Hi... first of all, I'm from Belgium too, so I know what you mean... ;-)

Never forget... you ask about an Island... so there will ALWAYS be some kind of wind. But choosing a different beach, another corner on the same beach situated in an other direction, can also make or ruin your (windy) day.

We really need to have some sort of date, that you would like to travel to the islands, coz this makes a HUGE difference too!

For instance, Plaka on Naxos can be not so windy, but soft sand will blow up... :-(

Kastraki much more wind, but no blowing sand @all... :-)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,975 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wind

There are sheltered beaches depending upon where you stay and\or go. As long as the meltemi winds are blowing (northern winds) in the Aegean beaches in Naxos like St. George and Agios Prokopios are reasonably sheltered.

Most often you will find the wind as a welcome breeze in the hot days.

The meltemi is blowing all through the Aegean islands when it is on.

UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wind

Hi

It's difficult to say as there are a lot of variables but someone asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago and a lot of my answer is valid for your question........

Our last 4 summer holidays have been in the Cyclades, visiting 12 different islands and probably heading towards 100 beaches. We are from the UK so we aren't interested in sitting on a beach protecting ourselves from the elements (we've done enough of that at home when our children were little!)

We've totalled 70 days, all between 20th June and 31st July and most of those days we've spent at least part of the day on a beach.............you can experience very windy conditions at any time during this period and there's quite often a breeze.............Having said that, there have only been 3 or 4 days where the wind was so high that it altered our plans. The vast majority of our days have been glorious beach weather

We are beach lovers, and we think some of the best are in Naxos, don't let the wind put you off

Edited: 21 January 2014, 10:18
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wind

Thank you. We are going July - Aug.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wind

I can guarantee you won't need a cardigan in Jul-Aug!

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wind

Think you will be happy there is some wind to cool you down ; Cycladic islands are windy but that does not stop me from reading on the beach in eg naxos. As mentioned before, there are sheltered beaches and the sand is usually thicker, ie you will not be sand blasted. If you really want no or less wind in summer, would advise not to pick a cycladic island.

UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wind

The wind has been unbelievable yesterday and today but it's forecast to calm down later. We had a rough crossing from Amorgos to Naxos on the Highspeed 4 yesterday and the scopelitis can't get out of Naxos.

A three mile walk down Plaka beach this morning was "refreshing"

If you come to the cyclades you get days like this but it's still fantastic :-)

UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wind

The wind has been unbelievable yesterday and today but it's forecast to calm down later. We had a rough crossing from Amorgos to Naxos on the Highspeed 4 yesterday and the scopelitis can't get out of Naxos.

A three mile walk down Plaka beach this morning was "refreshing"

If you come to the cyclades you get days like this but it's still fantastic :-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wind

the most welcomed thing in the summer is a breeze-wind,unless you love being under the hot sun sweating all the time,it is a blessing..i was in paros a couple of years ago,there was a mild wind and i wished for more..making plans to avoid any kind of wind makes no sense to me,unless you want to fry under the sun..don't worry too much and enjoy your trip

Edited: 05 July 2014, 10:15
UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wind

We experienced unusually strong wind, and then no wind, then just right amount. The sea changes dramatically depending on wind direction. Choose beach accordingly

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town