We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like on Andros this year?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like on Andros this year?

Sadly we're not going to be able to make our annual trip to Andros this year - our house has become a money-pit and we've spent so much on it over the winter that just cannot afford to go. We're both very worried about the situation in Greece - we know there are no riots outside of a small area in Athens, but we'd be interested to hear from this coming summer's visitors just what the effects are on Andros. For example - have any tavernas/bars/restaurants closed? - what are the food and drink prices like? The Greek government Minister for Tourism said on Radio 4 this morning that last year saw record numbers of tourists going to Greece - is this increase noticeable on Andros, or are numbers down? I think we ask out of concern for our many friends on the island - we hope they're coping. To those of you going this summer, have a great time!

1. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 13:18
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,577 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

"I know that this coming Thursday all the boats are full for Andros and Myconos but this is mainly due to the strike today and tomorrow I think."

This week is the Greek Easter week, and ferries and other transport will be packed even when they are not following a strike (which will make it even worse).

3. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 13:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

Hi, we've been to Andros twice and are thinking of returning again this year. Do you remember if the ferries are regular throughout the week - flight prices are much cheaper midweek but not sure if the ferries are as regular - we're thinking of taking an early morning ferry - I think there may be one at around 7am. Any ideas? None of the ferry schedules are available at the moment but if we wait for them the flight prices will go up for sure.

Also have you ever rented a boat on the island - do you know if its possible?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it

Katrina

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

I dont know about Andros, but I have been on Naxos for some days now, and I would say very little have changed. All the tavernas and coffee shops are still there. Maybe the owners are doing a bit more of the work themselves than earlier. I heard a sigh from a waiter the other day "Where are the Greek econonomic crisis ? They are all paying with 50€ bills."

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,701 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

I seem to remember reading a few weeks ago about some serious problems with rubbish collection on Andros. Does anyone know if these have now been resolved?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

Steve, I posted a link to the thread that detailed the rubbish problem on the island and someone deemed it as inappropriate and has had it removed it. So much for trying to provide information then....

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

Hi Katrina; there's always two or three ferries leaving Rafina for Andros between about 07.00 and 08.30 every day. And sorry, no, never rented a boat - perhaps at Gavrio but I've never seen boats to rent in Batsi.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 23:27
Athens, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

living in athens greece we are

visititing andros island couple times a year every springand automn.

this year we have not notced any major changes there,

the restaurants, cafes etc are still there and

the ferry boat conection has improved since last year.

(refurbished boats, a further boat called ithaki starts on this line june 1st)

prices are the same,

accomodation prices are cheaper this year

Athens, Greece
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's it like on Andros this year?

hello from athens greece,

we last year rented a small boat with an engine from batsi to visit

some of the close bye beaches, we payed eur 60,- a day for all 6 passengers and had a great day!!!

Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations