We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stenies

England
Level Contributor
129 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Stenies

Does anyone have information about the village of Stenies on Andros - does it have any facilities such as bars, tavernas shops etc. We gather it is small but would rather not have t drive at night to eat. Thanks

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stenies

Hi; Stenies is known as the "Millionaires' Village" - traditionally a lot of wealthy ship-owning families have lived there and the houses are noticeably luxurious - tiled roofs, etc. It's certainly the richest village on the island, and very, very quiet. To my knowledge here are no tavernas, but there might be a cafe and perhaps a shop. A neighbouring village is Apikia, where the Sariza water is bottled from the springs - it's about 10 minutes' walk away - there might be a taverna there but I don't remember one. The nearest beach is at Yialia, 15 minutes' walk away - it's one of my wife's favourites - there's a small taverna there which has OK food but the worst toilets in the Western world .A river flows into the sea there and it's full of terrapins and wonderful dragonflies. For nightlife, however, you'd have to go into the Hora. Hope that helps. best wishes, Malcolm & Carol

England
Level Contributor
129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stenies

Thanks for your reply - this is exactly what we wanted to know. We needed somewhere with at least one restaurant so that we needn't drive at night.. We are heading for Andros town now and will use that as a base. Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to reply - we really appreciate it.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stenies

Thanks - just to say, have you thought about Batsi? - it's a much nicer beach than either of the two that flank the Hora, there are loads of tavernas and some nice bars, it's sheltered from the Meltemi wind in late July and August (the Hora can be truly wind-blasted), but it's not a mass tourism kind of place at all - we've been there nine or ten times and are going back next year.

England
Level Contributor
129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stenies

You are of course right about the beaches but we are really that bothered about beaches !! We did spend the first three days on Andros in an apartment overlooking the beach i n Batsi and enjoyed it very much but prefer village/town life. We are still here in Andros town and probably will stay another day or two. Then we plan on going to Piraeus and visiting Agistri and maybe another island or two. Thanks again for your interest it really is much appreciated.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stenies

Just a suggestion - have you ever been to Kea? - you catch a ferry from Lavrion at the tip of the Attica peninsula. It's quiet and very lovely.

England
Level Contributor
129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stenies

Hi again, thanks for the suggestion about Kea - I looked it up and it does sound like our type of place. We are still in Andros town-- loving it though truthfully the tavernas are not that good - Planatos is very good and we just had lunch in Nona and that was the best - the others really not so hot! But still we love the place. I think are going on to Agistri which means that on the way back we can stay the night in Piraeus before going to the airport on the 26th we really don't want to spend the night in Athens. Our Plane leaves about 1pm so we will have plenty of time to get there. Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

7. Re: Stenies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations