We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forio in June

Warington
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Forio in June

Hi all

Loved Forio so much on first visit last September that we have booked already to go back this year n June....does anyone know how i can find out about the Festival of Saint Vitus...what dates it's on and what actually happens?

Thanks...J

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forio in June

There's an article on the festa in last June's edition of the island magazine - here:

ischianews.com/images/phocadownload/Magazine…

Haven't been ourselves as it clashes with the one for Sant' Antonio here at Ischia Ponte - both span the respective saint's days by a day or two either side...

Sant'Antonio di Padua - June 13th

San Vito - June 15th

.... and you can expect there to be religious processions, town band and other concerts perhaps - and fireworks definitely!

Try here for photos of various festas, mostly at this end of the island...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ischfest

Peter

Russia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Forio in June

We’ll come to Forio in June. The sites, Peter referred to, are very interesting, but some questions remained:

- Is drinking water possible for tea or coffee?

- What local fruits may we find on the Forio market in June?

- My wife and I love hiking. What are the interesting directions to hike from Forio?

~Valerio

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forio in June

Hi there! Let's see what we can do with those questions of yours...

- Is drinking water possible for tea or coffee?

Certainly - we've been making coffee with it every morning for nine years now!

- What local fruits may we find on the Forio market in June?

Many.... but although I've no market photos from that exact time of year, here's what was on display at a fruit and vegetable shop in Forio's Panza district one July.... with some of the produce - but not all of it (the pineapples especially) - being locally grown!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/125803631

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/139954388

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/142648231

- My wife and I love hiking. What are the interesting directions to hike from Forio?

Our own wanderings are limited to places where we can walk downhill after taking the bus - and there are lots of quiet lanes and byways all over the island where one can easily escape the traffic of the busier roads.

Various maps are available here - of which the Kompass "Isole d'Ischia e Procida" 1:15000 is the best we've found!

kompass.de/produkte/produktdetails/product-d…

Monte Epomeo is the main peak, in the centre of the island - and it's said to be a good hike, up to the Eremo di San Nicola, from where they say there are wonderful views..... usually people go to Serrara and start from there.

Otherwise try a search with Google - this came up almost immediately:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

(I'd forgotten I'd done that!)

Also...

visitischia.com/en/…hiking-and-trails.html

... and, for more ideas...

ischiatrekking.net/ischia_trekking_inglese.h…

Several of the guidebooks sold here now come in Russian versions - which may be easier than trying to get Italian directions translated?

Hope that's a help - June's a lovely time to be here!

Peter

Russia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Forio in June

Thank you, Peter for such a momentary and full answer! I’ll study all the sites you recommended.

5. Re: Forio in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:23