We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ischia vs Tropea??

CT
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Ischia vs Tropea??

My husband and I will be along the Amalfi coast for a week in the beginning of September. We may not have time, but if it permits, was looking into spending a couple of days in either Ischia or Tropea?

For those who have been to both, do you recommend one more than the other? Also looking for really pretty beaches...don't know if one is better than the other?

Any help would be great!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

Tropea is an attractive small Calabrian coastal town, famous for its red onions and as the setting for a popular Italian TV series, "Gente di Mare".

Ischia is a formerly volcanic island of 18 square miles, settled by C8th BC Greeks who brought with them their traditions of wine production and ceramics manufacture. Today it is renowned for its thermal waters and spa centres - although outside Italy it's perhaps best known for as one of the locations used by movies such as "The Talented Mister Ripley", Burton and Taylor's "Cleopatra".

Neither are much visited by Americans or English, and not many are likely to have been to both - hence the lack of response to both your enquiries!

If it's of any interest, you'll find my "All about Ischia" collection of pictures etc, here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Peter

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

I have been to Ischia and recommend it as a great vacation destination. There is lots of stuff to see and do and there is great bus transport all over the island. Ther is great food and beatiful scenery amoung other things. The beaches on Ischa are very beatidful sandy beaches. the Maronti beach on ischia is famour world-wide.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

On this map, all the red dots connected by red lines ion the shore are beaches

I don't even know where Tropea is?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

I - startlingly for a Brit, apparently ;) - have been to both. I loved both pretty much equally, though, so I might not be much use in helping you make a decision.

In practical terms, Ischia may be easier. Tropea isn't actually that far in miles from the Amalfi coast but might take a while, especially if you're relying on public transport. Actually, in general if you're relying on public transport, you'll find Ischia easier than Tropea as well, at least if you're planning on getting around at all. Tropea itself is small enough to walk around, but it's not that easy to get to the prettiest bits of the coast (Capo Vaticano etc) by public transport from there. Ischia, though, has a great bus system that lets you get round the island pretty easily.

Foodwise I don't think there's much to choose between them - good seafood in both (excellent swordfish in Tropea), though the local rabbit dishes in Ischia are also excellent. Both cuisines have a few dishes with a bit of a 'kick' - a spicy "spreadable sausage" called Nduja in Tropea, and a general tendency towards a bit of chilli in Ischia.

Likewise I found people to be equally helpful in both. I think Ischia is slightly more adapted to foreign tourists (lots of German tourists in Ischia; Tropea seems to be mostly Italian tourists), but I'm not sure about the level of English spoken in either place, as I speak Italian so I didn't really try! Nice places to stay in both, as well - though more choice in Ischia, I think.

Beaches - there I think I would vote for Ischia. The beach at Tropea is really nice, but at the bottom of a steep cliff. It's a bit of a slog to get up to the town from there. It's also quite 'nightlifey', with beach bars and that sort of thing, and as is pretty common in Italy, most of the beach is privately owned, so you pay to get onto the beach (which includes an umbrella and a sunlounger / chair, plus use of the facilities eg toilets, showers). The sea is lovely though. Ischia has loads of gorgeous, gorgeous beaches. Most of the most famous stretches are also 'pay' beaches, though there's a perfectly nice patch of free beach at the Spiaggia dei Pescatori, between Ischia Ponte and the port, with a great view of the Castello Aragonese. In places there are hot springs in the sea as well, plus of course the famous spas at Negombo and Poseidon.

I think I'd vote for Ischia overall. Tropea is gorgeous, but if you have to decide... I would go for Ischia, and probably specifically Ischia Ponte - a lovely little town, not at all far from the port (walkable, though not with luggage - there's an easy bus you can get though), with nice beaches and restaurants, and near what is probably one of the main attractions on the island (aside from the spas and the beaches!), the Castello Aragonese.

UK
Level Contributor
546 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

I have also been to both place and both have their merits. The coastline in Tropea is jaw-droping. The island of Ischia is charming - everyone on the Forio side of the island seem to take pride in their gardens and there are lovely beaches and cove around.

As you are in Amalfi and only going to pop away for a few days I would opt for Ischia, but do visit Calabria in the future and fit Tropea into your schedule.

I know people who have said they didn't like Ischia - I think they spent time on the busiest side of the island (personally I loved Ischia and will be back) but I don't know anyone who has said they disliked Tropea.

Let us know where you went and what you experienced.

Mrs T

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

This is the beach Spiaggia dei Pescatori in Ischia Ponte in the evening after everyone has gone home

Here is a google map of Ischia with sights and restaurants

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

Can I add one or two things to what's been said about Ischia?

By law, each Comune here is obliged to leave a fixed minimum proportion of each beach unlet to bathing stations and open for free public access - a requirement that, I gather, applies throughout all of Italy; these do however get very busy at times!

The gardens of the late Sir William Walton and his widow Lady Susana, at La Mortella are well worth a visit, especially for anyone at all interested in the composer's works or the concerts of classical music staged there in the evenings: http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mortella

There are several interesting events on in Ischia in early September - some are described, in Italian only, on the Comune's website, here: comuneischia.it/eventi_in_citta/ischia.php

There's also the festa for Ischia Ponte's patron saint, San Giovan Giuseppe (a somewhat moveable feast, this year I believe being celebrated between 3rd and 9th of September). It makes for a very jolly few days, with fabulous lights in the streets, all the brass bands out and about, religious processions etc etc - pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/sgg_mare

Peter

PS for Vicki - while 'startling' is maybe more emphatic than I'd have said, with only two responses from visitors to both places so far in this Forum - and none at all in the one for Tropea - I'm very happy to stand by my original "not many"!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

Hi Vicki,

I'm planning on going to Tropea next year. I'd like to base myself there for a week. Are there villages/towns I can go to within 1-2 hours' bus/train rides? So far, I've read about Pizzo and Reggio Calabria along the west coast. How about inland or along the west coast?

You were very helpful with the info on public transportation in Puglia and Basilicata, (last year), thank you.

Viv

CT
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

Thank you all so much for your help and recommendations!! If we are able to fit it in, Ischia does sound great and I really appreciate the input from those of you that have been to both!!!

What do you recommend is the best way to get to Ischia from the Amalfi Coast??

Thanks so much again!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

You'll be wanting the Alicost network (AliLauro / Costiera Amalfitana) - so start from the horse's mouth, here: http://www.lauroweb.com/alicost.htm

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ischia vs Tropea??

Can't beleive I'm arriving to Ischia on the 11th seems like all the festa's will be over

Get answers to your questions about Ischia