We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

e h
Columbia, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

Good Morning! I will be staying in Sorrento on 17 and 18 May and planned to take the boat to Ischia for the day, but noted in this forum that they don't run daily? What is my best plan for transit? Circumvesuviana to Naples, then catch a ferry? Or connect from a Sorrento-Naples ferry to Naples-Ischia?

I was hoping to visit Negombo or Poseidon, any preferences between the two? And will the weather be warm enough to enjoy them?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

"I was hoping to visit Negombo or Poseidon, any preferences between the two? And will the weather be warm enough to enjoy them?"

The water is warm to very warm. I vistied Negombo once in Feb and had a great time.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
14 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to respond, the information given is really useful.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

Should we book a tour from Sorrento or take a chance to travel on our own? We have travelled around Capri several times with no problems but are unsure about Ischia.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

When I was in Sorrento a few years ago I joined the Goldentours trip to Ischia.

http://www.goldentours.it/en/ischia.php

I see they still run it but it does seem a bit pricey . However the advantage you get of course is having transport once you are on the island. I think on a day trip it might prove a bit difficult to organise yourself around the bus timetables. The downside for me using the tour company was the 'organised' lunch stop were you were expected to buy the special lunch, I came prepared with my own paked lunch but it was time wasted for me at a not very interesting place. The big plus for me was the visit to La Mortella the Waltons garden where we spent most of the afternoon and I had a pleasant tea and cakes after wandering around the gardens. They really are something special and if I was still travelling I would return there one day to spend more time. Overall I liked Ischia much better than Capri which to me to very disappointing.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

My husband and I have just spent a day on Ischia. Sailed over from Sorrento.Walked over to The Aragonese Castle and, instead of spending a couple of hours there, we spent the day! It was enormous with a different story around every corner and a photo opportunity a minute! We had lunch in a shaded restaurant and spent a peaceful hour gazing at the most breathtakingly lovely views.We walked back to the port, explored a little, had drinks and ice cream and it was time to return. We are planning a holiday on the island.

Have been to Capri four times. The more we go, the more we learn about this beautiful island. It is on different levels with a chair lift at the top. Capri is much smaller so you can get around more parts of it.

Both islands are very special. You can take trips to both. There are boat rides too.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

Have just returned from a holiday in Sorrento from where we travelled to Ischia. The ferry was running daily and we were fortunate to travel across on a sunny morning, and the weather got better and better.

One day is not enough as it is a large island. We have been to Capri a few times and were somewhat disappointed on our first trip there. We needed a few visits to get to know the special places. We loved Ischia almost immediately.

We walked to The Aragonese Castle from the port, a good half hour trip. There was a cafe there, where we had coffee, before walking up the long road to the castle. There were lots of people about; swimming, fishing, rowing, walking their little dogs or just walking and chatting.

We were overwhelmed by the size of the castle. It was such an amazing place and we had a very memorable day.Lunch in the castle restaurant, sitting in a shaded garden, overlooking the most spectacular views was too relaxing. We had a shock later as we discovered more and more places to explore, and we had to rush about to make sure we saw all the most important areas!

We just had time to walk back to the port, have a quick walk around the streets, down the beach and back to the ferry. We enjoyed every minute of our day.

Another trip is on the cards as there is a range of activities to do, and beautiful places to see on this beautiful island.We plan on staying for a few days to do some serious exploring.

18. Re: Day trip to Ischia from Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ischia