We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Ischia to Positano

Tuckahoe, New York...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Ischia to Positano

We would like to start the southern portion of our honeymoon with a spa on Ischia when we arrive in Naples by train. After spending the day on the island we would take a hydrofoil to Positano.

Could someone tell me the best place to pre-book boats to Ischia and Positano?

Also, Is there a place to store luggage when you get to Ischia? What is the best way to get around the island?

Thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

Hi there!

The only Left Baggage place I've seen, in over a decade on Ischia, has never been open...

The island's buses can vary from fairly quiet, to intensely busy... but are cheap, with daylong tickets costing just €6. Alternatively, a taxi ride (for instance, from the main harbour at Ischia Porto to the Negombo spa) will be about €25 one-way.

comuneischia.it/in_giro_per_ischia/tariffe_t…

For more about the spas, and the island in general, try the visitor's magazine... available as a PDF from:

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

To help you re getting here, and away again, a couple of questions - if that's OK....

- as services vary across the season, can you give a fairly precise idea of when would this be?

- and do you intend to stop here for night, or move on again later the same day you arrive?

Regards, Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Mentioned in this post
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Tuckahoe, New York...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

Thanks Peter for the feedback and links. We are headed to Italy Jul 9 -19. We will be arriving in Naples on Jul 15 and staying in Praiano for the remainder. We will not be staying the night in Ischia. I was hoping to be able to store one bag while we spent the day on the island, taking a late afternoon ferry to Positano and finding our way to Praiano from there.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

That's handy then - as you'll be here at a time when the Alicost line's daily service can get you over to Positano, without having to change en route!

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

Currently scheduled to leave Ischia Porto at 16:20.... and arrive Positano by 18:15. In previous years they've not changed the timetable during its season (mid-June to roughly mid-September), usually it's their open-top boat "Raid", just occasionally the 'Citta di Amalfi' hydrofoil:

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=12

Not a bus ride we've ever done at that time of day, however I'd expect the quieter way to Praiano would be from Positano rather than Amalfi - with all the Sorrento people making their way back 'home' aboard the latter?

But, there again, on coming 'ashore' it's much easier to find / get to the bus stop in Amalfi... and you might well want to ask in the Praiano forum which would be the better choice, or whether a taxi is a worthwhile alternative?

I'm sure we've seen the odd suitcase lodged at the staffed changing rooms at Negombo - by far our favourite of the island's spas! A bit of a pain to drag luggage onto the buses (in the passenger compartment, not underneath), and much easier by taxi.... which is how we've almost always needed to go home from there, as it's a surprisingly exhausting day!

Perhaps try this thread, for some more instructions etc - with your own arrival likely to be at the harbour of Ischia Porto that's also used for the daily run from Sorrento:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

Not sure it's possible to book tickets for either crossing very far in advance, if at all... but that Monday isn't likely to be particularly busy on the Naples Beverello to Ischia journey. You should be able to buy those for the second 'leg' at the ticket office at Porto on the day?

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

If you do this stopover, I would suggest you then go to Amalfi vs Positano to reach your final destination of Praiano because, as Peter mentions, it will be easier to get from the boat to the SITA bus (or taxi) to Praiano from arrival via boat in Amalfi than it would be in Positano.

In Positano, after you dock, you will have to climb up through the pedestrian only portion of the village (steps, inclines - about 20 minutes) to reach the bus stop to Praiano and the closest to that part of the village is, unfortunately, the second of the two bus stops in Positano headed in that direction and the bus often just whizzes past as it has already stopped at the first of the Positano bus stops and can't take on any other passengers as it is too full (gad, that all probably sounds confusing).

After a long day as you describe, I'd take a taxi from Amalfi to Praiano - probably around 40-50 euros - don't know as I haven't been in 1.5 years in the area.

Tuckahoe, New York...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

Thanks. If I decide that this stop over is too much (this is supposed to be the most relaxing part of our honeymoon) what is the best way to get from Naples Centrale to Praiano? I was thinking a boat from Naples to Amalfi and a taxi or bus back to Praiano. Is there direct boat service from Naples or do I have to go through Sorrento?

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

There is no boat - and none announced as far as I am aware - from Naples to the AC.

I don't know where you are coming from to Naples, but I would suggest that instead you go to Salerno and catch the ferry from there to Amalfi and from Amalfi a bus or taxi. This route would eliminate one other form of public transportation if you go via the Naples to Sorrento to Praiano route. If you do stick with arriving in Naples, then take the local Circumvesuviana train (downstairs at the Napoli Centrale station) to Sorrento (about a 60 minute ride), then take the SITA bus to Praiano - it is right at the Sorrento train station.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

Brian, nice idea but achieving all of that in a single day was never going to be relaxing, particularly from Rome....

Is it now too late to clip a night off your stay in Praiano? Although it's rarely discovered by non-Italian visitors, at the Negombo spa there's also a small but luxurious hotel, the Hotel della Baia.....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580213-d6678…

http://www.negombo.it/negombo-hotel.html

Then, next morning, you can hydrofoil from Ischia Porto at 10:40, via Capri, to Positano or Amalfi - to be at Praiano for checkin and a lateish lunch... as also shown on the previous timetable!

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
8. Re: Naples to Ischia to Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18