We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around from Ischia

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting around from Ischia

Hi,

I am taking my boyfriend to Ischia for his 30th birthday in mid September for a week (staying at Mirimare e Castello) and wondered about how easy it is to day trip to the mainland (we debated staying in Sorrento for this reason) as we want to see as much as possible, whilst also relaxing at the hotel some of the time to take a break from London life. We'd like to see Pompeii and the Amalfi coast if possible but given that we are probably going to fly into Rome to keep the costs down I'm conscious we could spend a lot of time travelling and not seeing much. We want to relax, but at the same time we are used to hustle and bustle and don't want to feel too cut off.

It's our first time to Italy and a dream holiday for us so I want it to be perfect, with as much sightseeing as possible and a real authentic Italian experience.

Any advice on routes and travel times to the key sights on the mainland would be greatly appreciated, as it's not clear from my research so far.

Many thanks

Kate

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around from Ischia

From Ischia upi take the hydrofoil to Naples Beverello Port. Then you take the bus (Alibus-3.00 euro or the city bus) or a taxi to Piazza Garibaldi where the Central train station is. At the man train station you buy ticket for the Circumvesuviana train and board it in the basement. It takes 40 min to get to Pompei Scavi stop where the Pompeii ruins are.

NY, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around from Ischia

HI Kate

Your hotel and location are great! This is the most romantic area of Ischia with the best beaches and easy access to many spas! The whole idea of Ischia is to relax...and not take ferries back and forth to the mainland.

If going to Sorrento is important to you go for the day or 1 night BEFORE you to to Ischia...going after will only be a let down. I do recommend as a first time visitor that you take the boat that tours all the major coastal towns of the island ischia.info/en/…boat-tour-ischia.html that way you get a taste of everything from the sea instead of the bus. You can take the bus to towns and sites that you want to see very easily.

Sant Angelo is a bit low on restaurants, you may consider the 1/2 hr or so ride by bus into Forio a couple of nights for dinner. I also suggest going to Procida about 4 Euros each way only 20 minutes if you want a change of scenery. Since you are paying so much for your hotel and the facilities it does not make sense to go to Sorrento while you are on Ischia, but a short hop to Procida...maybe for a sundowner or early dinner could be good. Use your hotel as a resource for boat trip and ferry schedule information as much as possible that is what they are there for!

Enjoy your holiday!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around from Ischia

Thank you so much for your advice, and apologies for the very tardy reply! This is really helpful thank you. We are in ischia now and it's certainly lived up to expectations! Going to explore the island as suggested and may do a day trip to Capri and/or amalfi but otherwise as you suggested we are very happy relaxing here. Thanks again

Kate

Syracuse
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around from Ischia

Enjoy!! Also look up IschiaSea for a ferry to Capri, Positano, Amalfi or Sorrento.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 02:26
5. Re: Getting around from Ischia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 07:19