We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Will be traveling with my 18 year old daughter and was planning on spending four nights in Positano and then four nights in Capri. I'm now wondering if it makes sense to spend one of those nights in Ischia instead of just doing a day trip there from Capri? It would certainly be a bit more effort to relocate one more time during such a short trip, but wondering if it may be worth it?? I know very little about Ischia and whether the overnight would make it in fact a very special last day. IF you think so, what area would you recommend that would have a lovely beach and close acccess to shops, restaurants. etc?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

if you don';t sty long, stay in the area called Ischia Ponte (betwween the port the Aragonese castle

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

lots of great restauratns and shopping ain that area. Good bus transprto to the rest of Ischia

google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

ischa has great beaches. This one is free and in ischia Ponte

Spiaggia dei Pescatori

during the day

View of Ischia form the castle

Edited: 21 February 2014, 18:01
Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Please consider that direct ship connections from Capri departs around 4pm. Usually they are for daytrips from Ischia to Capri. The other way round you will have to go to Naples first and spend double money and waste time. So, if you plan to go to Ischia as last day, you can do that with a night here and the next day do your visiting.

If you need help for planning better, contact www.ischiareview.com and I'm sure they will be able to give you good advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

I'm confused. Is there no way of getting directly from Capri to Ischia? I thought there were ferries that ran frequently.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

The boats only run during the season. This link is from last year, there's one in the a.m. Capri to Ischia and one return (same for Sorrento too Ischia/Return):

tripadvisor.com/…51312104

The 'seasonal' schedule won't be posted until the end of April or 1st of May.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 14:49
Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Usually the direct connection is from Ischia to Capri around 8/9am and back from Capri around 4pm with one hour to go. I don't know any line doing the same from Capri but going to Sorrento too. Arrival at Ischia is around 10.30am and departure around 5pm to Sorrento and Capri. Sorry, I forgot about the Alilauro connection to Ischia.

Mount Laurel, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

If only taking a day trip, what is a must see or do in Ischia? Don't want to race around. Take in the beauty see the must see get something to eat and head back to Sorrento.

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

If you don't want to "race" that much.. you can do a beautiful walk about 2km (or take the bus 7) to Ischia Ponte and visit the Castello Aragonese (open every day from 9.30am to sunset, 10€) there are little restaurants for all requests like pizza or menu or you simply buy bread and ham or cheese at the grocery store, there are two fountains with clear water to drink too. Otherpoints like botanical gardens or tours around are more complicated to organize within your time table. And if you chose a taxi it would cost around 70€ for 4 passengers and about 3 hours.

But there is also a chance for a guided tour from Sorrento. Ask your hotel or tour manager for it. Usually they offer a tour in bus around the island with lunch included and some other stops. And the pro is, you don't have to worry about nothing else but enjoy.

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Go for it,you will love it.with your limited time you could get on one of the local buses and do a complete circular rout of Ischia.jon

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

Do you know anything about renting scooters and riding around the island? Is that doable? I think my daughter would find that a blast but I don't know if that's the type of island where we could do something like that. Don't want to be on busy main roads.

10. Re: day trip or overnight in Ischia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:49
Get answers to your questions about Ischia
Recent Conversations