We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

Which Ischia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

I am so confused in picking a hotel and location. We are a couple, fairly active in our 60's. We do want a pool and a view and also would like to get around easily.

Any suggestions...very welcomed. Thanks!

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

This is pretty difficult now. Budget? Almost all hotels have a pool, usually with thermal water so it's not really a "swimming pool". Then there is the question: do you need quiet or animated surroundings?

I guess you have some hotel already picked out? So, please, would you write them down here and I (or others) can better help you? Sorry, here are something like 300 hotels and other accomodations and you will understand that I can't take one out of the blue : )

Just a few: Hotel Romantica/S. Angelo - Hotel Ressort Villa Sorriso/Forio - Hotel Tritone/Forio - Hotel Terme di Augusto/Lacco Ameno - Hotel Bagnitiello/Casamicciola (with a little thermal park) - Hotel Villa Duruelli/Ischia Ponte - Hotel Aragona Palaca/Ischia Porto

Did you get others? There are so many!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

I have only been able to make a day trip to Ischia from Sorrento but planned to go back for a longer stay. Like you I was interested in getting around but my searches led me to belief if I had to rely on the island buses it would be best to base myself at a hotel close to Ischia Port, since that is where the network of buses all oriniate. There are some very nice hotels with great beaches but they were not very good places to get around from unless you were prepared to make use of taxis. Unfortunately I have not been able to return since my roaming days are over. Where ever you pick I am sure you will have a great time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

I have picked out Aragona Palace because it's so centrally located and all the reviews are so good. But just wondering if I'll be sorry we are in such a busy location. The hotel doesn't seem "pretty" enough.

We will be coming from staying right in the middle of Sorrento for 4 days, so thinking maybe we would like a more beautiful and quieter location. Just not sure.

I will look into the hotels you listed in S.Angelo. Do you think we should split up the days on the island ..like 4 in one place and 3 in another?

Thanks for your help!

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

You're welcome! The Aragona Palace is quiet and with a very good service and food. You will not hear most of the noises from the port or the traffic. And you are a few minutes from the pedestrian area and the beaches too. S. Angelo is situated on the other side of the island and the Romantica Ressort is above the bus station with three different busses to get for the rest of the territory. So you are in peace but not isolated.

At least, if you have some other idea, please feel free to ask again!

And sorry for the typos in my other message, I was on the run for work.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 22:48
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

Hi

We have had a couple of holidays in Ischia and stayed in Ischia town both times. We think the area near the castle is the best place and a hotel with a view of the castle is our idea of a good hotel. First time we stayed at Hotel Villa Duruelli which is central and the top floor balconies have good views. Second time we stayed at the Continental Mare, much bigger and better with two pools, very quiet, great food, nice gardens, great sea views and a free beach, er, down a hundred steps. It's a ten minute walk to the port but there is a free shuttle bus through the day which is great. If, no when, we go back to Ischia we may try Il Moresco or a hotel in Forio. We think St Angelo is very beautiful but too small for a week's holiday.

See the TA reviews of these hotels and have a look at this video taken by some friends of ours staying at Villa Durruelli. The opening scenes are from the private beach at dawn, the view of the pool and castle is from my balcony. The rainy night and sea food restaurants are Ischia port, Forio and St Angelo are also featured. You may need to right click on the video link and open in another window, at least that's what I have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTLxNlJ8O8w

Enjoy your holiday

Eddie

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

Hi,, we are a family of four,children are eight and eleven, I have been recommended this island in the que for my plane coming back from taking the children to see pompii, versuvius, etc, this island looks fantastic, but I too am so confused which place to base ourselves, we like days out on boats, the children like a nice pool, they arequite noisey in the pool so im worried about the right hotel, as not to upset the other residence and to feel relaxed, we enjoy a nice sretch of beach, but the children get a bit beached out after a while so we like places to visit, we also like a pretty hotel, but not too old, im woundering if what im looking for excists! can you help, not sure I like the sound of the port a bit too busy for me, we would hire a car, I think! '. Help,,,,,,

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

Hi Martin K.!

Just thinking about your request I recommend you to contact directly www.ischiareview.com to have more choices than I can give you. Since most of the hotels here offer thermal pools and you need a "normal" one for your children I only can try to give you that one:

http://www.hotelhibiscus.it/en/

It is near the Chiaia Beach in Forio, the safest one we have for children if they are not the best swimmers and you will be a few minutes away from Forio center and can take several busses or walks whenever you want.

I know there should be other hotels maybe in the Citara area but I don't know which pools each of them offer.

So please contact the experts at the above link and I'm sure you will be in the best hands you can imagine.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

Hello! I am thinking of going to Ischia as well (that or Capri). I am single female traveler and want great food, beach, restaurants choices and would like to see some people! I'd like to stay in a luxury hotel as I only have 3 days and no car- does that mean my only choice is Ischia Port??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

No you don't have to go to Ischia port. Catamarans and ferries land at other harbours as well and the bus does not take long to go around the island.

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best part of the Island of Ischia to stay?

For luxury hotels you can look for Lacco Ameno (Regina Isabella - La Mezzatorre - San Montano) or S. Angelo (Miramare - La Romantica) they all have shuttle busses too and you are not far away from people and night life too.

Beaches are reachable with local busses or near your hotels, no problem. And three days may be enough for Capri but Ischia offers so much more! Time will fly.

Get answers to your questions about Ischia