We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

I have now managed to find some cheaper options for a trullo. I have read that Alberobello is very touristy and have seen a trullo about 6 miles away in countryside towards castellana Grotte. However as we shall be there early April can anyone tell me if it will be a lot quieter then, therefore perhaps better to stick with Alberobello - Im worried it will be too remote that early in the season ? for restaurants etc?

London, England
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

The holiday season in Italy tends to be fairly short, May to Sept in general. However, we stayed in a trullo in Alberobello in October 2009 and loved it.

Yes, it is touristy, but we found that after about 6pm all the tourists had left and the place was predominantly italian. It is a lovely town and has a few good restaurants and bars. We stayed fairly central, near to the church.

We'd hired a car, so went out somewhere different each day. The nearby Baroque towns are well worth a visit. We also went one day to Matera, which was well worth the couple of hours drive each way.

Woud certainly go back to Puglia and compared to many parts of Italy it is not so expensive.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

I am sorry to say that Alberobello is like Disney land but i guess if you can handle the glitz then perhaps the nights offer something

London, England
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

In April, or even at other times, I'd tend to favour a town over the country, as we prefer tobe within walking- rather than driving-distance of bars, shops and restaurants. In April, it won't necessarily be very warm- more like Spring in southern England than an Italian summer, so consider what you want and whether the country alternative is wholly remote. Much of the area is also on the 300-400m high rolling limestone plateau running along the spine of Puglia - very pretty but 3-4 degrees cooler than on the coast (Bari for example which you can look at on weather4travel.com/travelweather/…bari.php ) or check spot heights on mid-zoom level maps at viamichelin.com

In past posts I too have dismissed Alberobello by day as M does, as there are lots of tourist visitors, even off season, and as many of the hundreds of magical trulli in the sloping alleys which make up the world heritage centre have been converted to souvenir shops. But I too have heard that after the tour buses depart, the place changes, and the town really is atmospheric. In any case, assuming you have a car, you'll be visiting other places by day, as H suggests above.

Check exactly where the trulli is however; we've noticed (from our many trips to Martina Franca 20 minutes west of Alberobello; which unlike Alberobello, is deserted in its 'centro storico' by day but lively at night and which has many self-catering apartments right in the centre- confusingly called 'bed &breakfasts') that a holiday home listed as being in Martina Franca commune can actually be several km out of the small city in the country.

But whichever you choose, the area is great- don't miss the seafood restaurants for lunch on the Adriatic coast.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

oops - I said ' Check exactly where the trulli is however...' Better use the singular 'trullo' before someone corrects me!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

We stayed in a trullo in Alberobello in July at Trulli e Puglia and loved it. There were 2 cruise liners in at Bari one day which added to the tourists but it was still easy to walk around and enjoy the unusual houses. Yes, there are many souvenir shops on the western hill but we found them interesting, especially those with wine and preserves for sampling. We had a car and had some concerns as to where we would park but we found free street parking about 200 metres from our trullo apartment in the pedestrian part of town. We were even able to drive to the apartment to unload.

It is worth mention that although Alberobello is a UNESCO World heritage site, it is also a town with a population of around 11,000 with a good vibrant night atmosphere.

http://www.trulliepuglia.com/en/index.htm

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

Martina franca has everything as said by alexmac and more and is a better option in a Puglian reality check.....many trulli to rent and not as polished.

the centro storico at evening is great fun and cheap to eat.

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

Thank you for all your comments/advice . We are travelling with our 9 year old and having 3 nights in Sorrento - to visit pompei and Mt. Vesuvious etc. 2 nights in Matera then have booked Trulli e Puglia in the centre of Alberobello as we have decided with just one night there best to be central as this will be followed by 3 nights in a remote hotel on the coast near Fasano, which will involve driving out to eat, visit the safari park etc. We are already looking forward to our visit.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

Bit late now perhaps, but it was late September when we visited, and we stayed for a couple of nights in the town itself - which worked rather well as we had the place almost to ourselves in the mornings and evenings....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/puglia__trulli

... and went away exploring whilst the coach parties were there...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/locorotondo

Peter

9. Re: Trullo - Alberobello or Countryside in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Alberobello