We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

Hello, i have just found this wonderful site and I am hoping for some advice about our trip to Sicily.

We ( middle-aged) are flying into Sicily on the 9th August.

We have no accommodation booked but would like some recommendations of where to base ourselves so we can see the maximum of sights while staying in either one or two places. We are looking for a sea/beach based holiday with possibilities to venture out every other day or so. The idea is to relax ( but not necessarily sunbathe), eat well but enjoy the beautiful country.

I realize I am asking the impossible but any pointers of where to start would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,874 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

Welcome to Sicily Tracy D!

August is peak tourist season, and so it's imperative that you book your reservations.

Expect busy coastal areas everywhere.

Perhaps you might offer more information to assist in a response.

Where will you arrive and depart in Sicily?

And do you plan to hire a car?

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I was hoping you would reply as I have read lots of great ideas that you have kindly passed on.

We are flying out of Rome so can arrive either in Palermo or Catania airport.

We will probably hire a car but have heard so much conflicting advice about wether or not it is safe for " foreigners" to drive around. We will stay for 2weeks.

We are keen photographers so are looking for some good photo opportunities but not too much heavy traveling. The idea is to visit but also to relax. I would like to stay in maybe two different places as I don't want to keep packing and checking out of hotels. We are looking for hotels or apartment accommodation but intend to eat out all the time. I would like to be close to a beach/the sea as I want to hear the waves.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help.

Kind regards,

T

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,874 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

Prego Tracy D,

Perhaps you would find this thread helpful in deciding about the car, but the best way to travel around Sicily would depend on your destinations.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k7544…

Coastal areas are crowded everywhere in August, but perhaps Southeastern Sicily would be a bit less crowded.

Sicily in August- Quiet, uncrowded place by the sea:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…25190382

Southeastern and Southwestern Sicily are local areas with lovely beaches.

trip to Palermo, then Ragusa or Siracusa in September>:

tripadvisor.com/…32185617

want to experience Sicily in an authentic way..help:

tripadvisor.com/…13094037

You might arrive and depart from Catania; arrive and depart from Palermo; or open-jaws your itinerary with an arrival in Catania, and a departure from Palermo, or vice versa.

If you were to fly to Catania, you might begin with the Ragusan coast, and then end with Siracusa to position for your departing flight from Catania.

Half of Sicly's Bandiera Blu beaches are located in Ragusa province.

www.bandierablu.org/common/blueflag.asp…

You might base in one of the UNESCO Val di Noto towns like Ragusa, Modica or Scicli, and visit the cute coastal villages, but if you'd like to be close to a beach and the sea, and hear the waves, you would want to base in one of the coastal villages, and then visit the UNESCO towns, which are a photographer's delight.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1024

tripadvisor.com/…57697944

This itinerary is possible via public transport.

Tumino and Etna Trasporti Interbus run bus service from Ragusa to Marina di Ragusa. Tumino also runs bus service from Ragusa to Punta Secca, Santa Croce Camerina, and Kamarina.

AST runs bus service from Modica to Marina di Modica, Scicli-Sampieri (via Scicli), Donnalucata (by way of Scicli) and Pozzallo; and AST runs bus service from Scicli to Donnalucata, Scicli-Sampieri, Marina di Ragusa (by way of Donnalucata), Marina di Modica (by way of Sampieri), Pozzallo (via Modica), and Santa Croce Camerina (by way of Marina di Ragusa).

Siracusa isn't a beach destination, so August isn't peak season in Siracusa.

If you were to arrive in Palermo, you might consider the area around Selinunte or Sciacca.

The beaches in Menfi and Marsala have also been awarded the Bandiera Blu.

You would appreciate a car in this area.

This thread (and links) discusses this area.

Western Sicily base:

tripadvisor.com/…49358897

And you might combine both areas with an arrival in Catania and a week in Eastern Sicily, and then staying a week in Western Sicily with a departure from Palermo.

Vagabonda

4. Re: Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sciacca