We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

Which Piazza Armerina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

I am driving from Agrigento to Ragusa and wanted to stop in Piazza Armerina to visit Villa Roman del Casale. My thought was to arrive in Piazza Armerina around noon and have lunch (any recommendations for lunch?) and then spend a few hours to visit the villa before heading to Ragusa as I wanted to get to Ragusa before it is dark (Oct 9th). Can you park at the villa or do you have to take bus from Piazza Armerina? Any other input? Thanks so much.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

Ciao HawaiiWang,

There is parking at the Villa Romana del Casale. There's also a presence of "car-parkers" (posteggiatori) at the Villa Romana del Casale, but there’s no left luggage storage at the Villa Romana del Casale. There's no left luggage storage anywhere in Piazza Armerina.

Car Parkers!:

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art66.htm

There are some excellent lunch options in Piazza Armerina.

La Ruota is a trattoria near the Villa Romana that is open for lunch every day of the week. La Ruota’s cuisine is traditional and simple, and the staff is friendly.

http://www.trattorialaruota.it/

Al Fogher serves typical local fare – Al Fogher is closed on Mondays, but open for lunch every other day of the week.

http://www.alfogher.net/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g580232-d1…

In October, Piazza Armerina’s Villa Romana del Casale will be open from 9.00-17.30 at a ticket price of 5,00 euro.

Almost 50% of the Villa Romana del Casale is currently open for viewing, including the Sala ragazze in bikini, La grande basilica, Triclinio, the Corridoio grande caccia, Sala mosaico acquatica, Sala di Orfeo....

The Villa Romana del Casale is a UNESCO site!

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/832

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

You are so awesome Vagabonda. I don't know what I would do without your expertise. I so appreciate all of your input. Grazie.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

Grazie mille HawaiiWang - Much appreciated and my pleasure!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Croton on Hudson...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

what does "no left luggage storage" mean? Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

Welcome to Sicily charleyg1!

There's no secure place to leave your luggage, and then you would leave your luggage unattended in the car, and that's always a risk!

roninrome.com/transportation/take-my-luggage…

Vagabonda

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

I drove all around Sicily in my little Fiat and I didn't have any problems what soever, But I was aware of the problems and took precaution and brought a heavy duty bike cable with lock to secures my luggage to the car in the very small trunk. I had two carry size pieces of luggage that fit perfect in the trunk. I did not keep any luggage or backpacks in the back seat. We made several stops at various sights and everything was great but we did take precaution and have a heightened awareness as Vagabonda has recommend.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

Theft is opportunistic and can occur anywhere. Many never have issues, but if your car is targeted, it could ruin your holiday, and the car could be vandalised as well.

The issues of unattended left luggage in the car could be eliminated or mitigated by carefully planning your itinerary – By asking hotels to hold your luggage prior to check-in time or after check-out time; by planning two nights in destinations so you would have one full day at a destination; by planning sightseeing along the way where there is left luggage storage; by arriving at a destination at night to better position for sightseeing the following morning…..

Vagabonda

8. Re: Day trip visit & lunch to Villa Roman del Casale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2016, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Piazza Armerina