We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catania to Piazza Armerina

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Catania to Piazza Armerina

Want to visit Villa Casale on a day trip from Catania . Ideally would like to get there early, around the opening time . However, on the interbus site, the first bus that I can find leaves Catania at 10 am and reaches P.Armerina around noon . On the return the last bus leaves at 5.pm

Is there any other transport option which would allow me to reach early or leave P. Armerina later in the day ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Interbus runs the direct service between Catania and Piazza Armerina.

Although the long way around, you could take SAIS Autolinee from Catania to Enna, and then take SAIS Autolinee from Enna to Piazza Armerina, but there’s a narrow window – Take the 6.30 bus in Catania, arriving in Enna 01h20 later. Then on the Lun-Ven non scolastico/ Sabato non scolastico schedules, a bus departs Enna at 8.10, and arrives in Piazza Armerina 00h40 later.

http://www.saisautolinee.it/

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

And here's the schedules for the shuttle service from Piazza Armerina to the Villa Romana del Casale.

www.villaromanadelcasale.org/index.php…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Have you read the recent reviews since the Villa Romana del Casale reopened?!! :-)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g580232-d7…

Vagabonda

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Vagabonda , you are a gem for providing so much detailed information . Am trying to make sense of all the schedules.

Am not too keen to taking a bus to Enna at 6.30 am ( probably still be dark then! ) . So if I do take the direct bus from Catania I will reach P. Armerina at 12.10 ... but then , if I am reading it correctly, there is no local bus to Villa Casale until 15.00 !

What alternative mode of transport can I take ? And what will that cost ?

Am really keen to see the Villa ... the recent reviews are great ... but why do they make it so difficult to get there ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Grazie khushiKolkata_India!

Piazza Armerina is a distance from Catania, so the only way to arrive early via public transport is with an early bus.

The direct bus is really the most convenient way to arrive via public transport. It does appear that the local shuttle shuts down during the mid-day closing.

Call ahead and arrange a taxi service. Always agree on a price prior to entering the taxi (3495109974). The price is €25,00 return.

Your only other option is a tour from Catania.

newtravelservices.net/en/…

The Villa Romana del Casale is worth the effort!

Vagabonda

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Hi Vagabonda , a group tour may be a good idea , given the difficulty in getting there by one self . A private tour would be too expensive for me .

Can you recommend a few group tours from Catania ? I keep reading that lots of tour buses go to Villa Casale but am not able to find any group tours !

Many thanks , as usual .

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Hi khushiKolkata_India,

There aren’t companies running group bus tours from Catania – There are many from Taormina. Will you be in Taormina?

Vagabonda

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Unfortunately , no . We are staying in Catania . Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,347 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

The group bus excursions depart from Taormina or Giardini, so your only options from Catania are public transport, car hire for the day (from the airport), private driver, or private tour.

www.sat-group.it/excursion_en.asp?cod=1&ex=s

interbus.it/Escursioni/AgrigentoePiazzaArmer…

saistours.com/downloads/EscursioniLocandina.…

Vagabonda

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catania to Piazza Armerina

Thanks Vagabonda ... we will just have to make do , the best that we can . Really appreciate your help on this . Best regards

Get answers to your questions about Piazza Armerina