We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

TA,

I need your help in planning a half day trip through Greve in Chianti. We will be taking a train into Florence (arriving around 1:00 p.m.) then renting a car for 5 nights as we head down to Montepulciano. Since we will be going south we would like to stop in Greve to break up the trip...is that a good choice? We want to see a little of the area, stop for a late lunch, have a glass of wine, then make our way to Montepulciano for dinner time.

What do you recommend we see?

Any recommendations for lunch places?

A must see winery and/or vineyard?

Thanks for the help TA!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

There's a vast amount of information on what to see in the area of Greve here: http://www.greve-in-chianti.com/ One 'not to miss' nearby site is Montefioralle http://www.montefioralle.info/ If you want a special lunch (also, I have to say, quite expensive), head up to Lamole http://www.lamole.info/ I wouldn't say that any of the ordinary vineyards in the area are must sees, but if you have the time you could visit Vicchiomaggio or Verrazzano.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

The restaurant at the village of Lamole(www.ristorodilamole.it/en) is an excellent place for lunch. The road up to the restaurant is just after Greve prior to arriving in Panzano. The food is excellent and the views are amazing.

Another alternative is a visit to the LeCantine(old wine cellar) where you can taste many of the wines of Chianti, then a lunch at Gallo Nero restaurant just off the piazza.

The restaurant in the village of Montefioralle(Taverna del Guerrino) has very good food and amazing views.

www.greve-in-chianti.com

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Thanks TA.

Is Lamole really that good? both posts mentioned it so it must be popular. We are just looking to get the essence of the Chianti region as we are more looking forward to the southern part of Tuscany and the rolling hills. If you had 3-4 hours in the Chianti region what would YOU DO?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Ristoro di Lamole gets mostly very positive reviews: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g580240-d1… but I'll say again - it's not cheap. The drive up there and the view from the restaurant are phenomenal.

3-4 hours - depends on your interests: look through the topics on http://www.chianti.info You could visit Montefioralle, take pictures of Badia a Passignano, do a couple of wine tastings at any "degustazione" point you pass on the road, stroll around the piazza of Greve and/or through the main drag of Castellina.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Just had a lovely lunch in beautiful setting, fantastic drive to location at Badia a Coltibuono. Tuscany experts: would this fit in logistically?

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Well, if I could go back to il Ristoro di Lamole to have a repeat of my April experience I would definitely do it. Food was the best of our 14-day trip, service was excellent, setting lovely. It's out in the middle of nowhere (as is most of Chianti...just drive from one village to the next, stop, have a caffe, look around, etc.) but I'm not sure there is another middle of nowhere on the planet as good as that one. Actually, Greve was a bust for us...maybe because it was toward the end of the day. Radda is a nice little village and also has one of my favorite restaurants called Le Forchette del Chianti.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

Hi tuscan

Can I ask where you hired your car in/near Florence? I'm looking to do the same in late August. Many thanks.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

BrisvegasDe - I never hire cars but strongly recommend that you hire at Florence airport so that you can easily avoid the ZTL areas in central Florence as you pickup and return the car.

9. Re: Driving from Florence to Greve...what to do for half a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 07:15