We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

Galway
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

Hi

Just wondering if anyone who is a frequent visitor to Jesolo could answer this question for me. If you have booked half board in your hotel, and you are eating your evening meal there every night, what are you expected to tip the waiters per meal. We are booked into the Principe Palace half board so will be eating there most nights. Usually i would tip based on the cost of the meal but as its included in the hotel price, just wondering what would be the norm! From all accounts, the hotels gets great write ups on Trip Advisor and everyone comments highly on their food, so just wondering in advance.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Lor

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

No tips....

Galway
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

Effeti

Thank you for your quick response regarding tipping. I wasnt sure what was expected when eating in your hotel. I persume tipping is expected in restaurants outside the hotels.... Hoping also to do a bus trip to Verona (is that where you're from?). We hope to just call into the local bus station and get the bus there ourselves. Would you recommend doing this or should we go with a tour company? Really looking forward to going! Weather in Ireland has been very wet this month so hoping for some lovely weather at the end of August!

Thanks

Lor

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
988 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

I also battle with tipping, in general, in Italy.

I too have been told by Italian colleagues/friends not to tip at all.

Therefore, I do not tip anyone.

Financially, this suits me just fine, but could someone please tell me the "trick" of doing this without feeling bad??

Galway
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

Hi Loverofmilan

Thanks for that. I too would love to know what the trick is to knowing whether or not a tip is required. WHile its great financially not to have to tip, you cant help feeling mean! I wasnt sure if tipping was required in your hotel if your meal was part of your package but are you saying that your italian colleagues say its not required when out in a restaurant? Even so, i will still feel awkward if i dont tip! You cant win!

Lor

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
988 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

I do not tip anyone at all - as per the very strong advice I have been given.

However, I do feel mean and can barely look a taxi driver in the eye when I take the change back.

I do not take the small change back, but somehow I still always tense up, waiting for a raised voice, telling me how mean I am.

Still waiting though...........

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

It is never necessary to tip in Italy. Very simple rule!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

If you dont need to tip, why do the travel companies have in there hotel guides, on what to tip

By going what is in the book, it makes you feel like its a duty and you have to tip

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

The rule is quite simple, and the rule is made by our customs.

Waiters earn a full pay, often quite good. No need to tip

In a regular restaurant, IF I feel the service was better than average, i leave a small change.

In a week long stay, do the same at the end of the stay. But only if they were better than you should expect.

You don't have to feel mean, it's this way. Full stop.

And please, DO NOT let them get used to substancial tips... we live here all of our life...

Ciao

Francesco

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

>>If you dont need to tip, why do the travel companies have in there hotel guides, on what to tip<<

Because they want to get money out of tourists.

10. Re: Tipping in Hotel Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 06:17