We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IRELAND BELFAST
5 posts
Save Topic
quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im not long back from staying in albuferia it was great!! although we did pay a small fee to get a bus out to the gypsey market for a day out to see how these people live and mainly for a great day out!! which it wasnt it was a load of rubbish it was alot of gypseys screaming trying to get you in to buy things which i dont mind but when im already looking threw their stuff why are they still screaming!! it was muddy and a guy asked us if we wanted cheap cigarette's they said they get them from spain and can sell them cheap my family all being smokers and having just missed the chance to go to spain to get them are selves we said ok we give him e200 and got nothing but a bag with a brick in it !! it was so noticable after that the whole market had knew what he was up too people were laughing and it was crazy! even the dogs in the street knew he was never giving us ciggies but he was so baby faced we were fooled !!! i just want people to know this goes on b4 you go becuz had we knew we would have just said no and maybe would have enjoyed walkin around but it put a bad feeling on the day we couldnt wait to get out!! this market is run by scum theyre all in on this and they love to watch us get made a fool of it brightens up theyre day at work!!! so just be warned please go and enjoy but never buy wat u cant see and keep your money close to you !!! they really are gypseys !!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that made me laugh. Quite right. Tried to tell people these markets are a waste of time. As they don't seem to want to listen I actually think it would be quite funny if they went home with a brick instead of ciggies. What a great story. There is a saying about being thick as brick, but of course I don't know what it means.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it goes without saying that you should never buy anything anywhere, whether a shop, market or the street, without checking what you are buying first.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody who is stupid enough to buy anything at the 'gypsy' markets at Quarteira, Loule or Albufeira deserves all they get!

Mentioned in this post
Quarteira
Quarteira
Faro District, Portugal
Loule
Loule
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!00% with cubsur's comment. Add to that the extreme danger of buying cheap alcohol.

Clothing wise, you'll usually find the same products at Primark, although more expensive - need I say more? Already made my view on gypsy markets, so I'll leave it there.

Leeds
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a regular visitor to the Algarve over the last 5 years i must admit that the first time there with my partner we tried the Gypsy market and didn't like it, but we did like the front at quateira and the walk into vilamoura marina. We still do this trip using local bus from albufeira to Quateria have breakfast in the Mona Lisa or its next door neighbour, then walk up to the far end of the promenade and then walk into Vilamoura, stopping to lay on the beach for a few hours then into the Marina drooling over the boats. We usually then have a few beers and a sarnie at China 7 bar, followed by getting bus back to the Strip.

Best if you don't go on wednesdays though as you still get the beggars on the prom.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Birmingham
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least you have a brick

You can now go to your local builders yard and buy more bricks and then build a wall

See every cloud has a silver lining

stoke
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we also went to the gypsy market and also not found it nice lots of hustle and bustle pushing and shoving and to top it of we got pushed out of the way by 4 portugese teenage yobs which were learning english by shouting fu.... you to each other and slapping a bloke across his back and also an english lady got pushed in the back. we felt very unsafe.

8. Re: quarteira gypsey market beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Quarteira
Recent Conversations