We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which Canico hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southern england
Level Contributor
256 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

Just returned from a week in Madeira.

Stayed in Canico baixo area and hired a car from Guerin car rental.This went without a hitch and we drove away in a new Clio within 20 minutes.

Driving in Madeira has it's moments!! some of the roads are very steep, but sticking as much as possible to the main dual carriage way which takes you through a very good tunnel system and you can get to most of the island fairly easily.

The people of Madeira are a joy , so nice and friendly ,we learnt a few words but everyone seemed to know we were English .

We visited most parts of the island, but low cloud every day deterred us from a levadas walk,or the monte palace gardens, but i think that can wait till our next visit.

I think we would probably stay in Funchal next time and do away with the hire car, only because we have seen quite a lot of this wonderful island and could probably use public transport next time.

The food we ate in the restaurants was very good and we had some lovely fresh fish on several occasions. 'A Tranieria' in Canico delivered fabulous meals on 2 separate visits , well worth the 20 min walk from our apartment.

Overall we had a lovely holiday and even enjoyed the overcast / rainy days as well as the sunny ones, we will return!!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

It is great to hear that you enjoyed Madeira. It is a beautiful Island with so much to offer the tourist. When you return I would suggest later in the year when the weather is more stable. Keep in touch with TA forums and let us know when you will return, we will update you with tours, etc

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday in Madeira .I think Funchal is an excellent base for a holiday , easy to get to all parts of the island by either public transport or the many tour companies . Also you would be spoilt for choice regarding restaurants .Let someone else do the driving next time .

Thank you for sharing your experience with us all .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Madeira is by far my favourite holiday destination, though despite having held a UK licence for over 30 years I would never consider driving there.

I agree with Mike's comments in previous post that in Funchal you are spoilt for choice regrading restaurants.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

I agree. Comparing like for like I would say that Madeira has some of the best restaurants around. The standard is very high.

southport
Level Contributor
506 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

where did you stay in Canico baixo?, i only ask as we are off to the four views oasis in september.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

alchemist, it may have been better to start your own thread instead of opening up one which is over 1 year old.

If you have any specific questions, ask away and we can try and reply to you.

southport
Level Contributor
506 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report

Many thanks Flowercity, did not see the date, as this was on the first page i thought it was a new post.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report

No probs. Have you read the reviews ? Here is the link, click on it and have a read, it may answer some of your questions, if you have any, if not ask away.

Nice area but away from the city. Reasonable bus links, if you are not hiring a car.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580258

southport
Level Contributor
506 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report

many thanks for the link, looking for a nice layed back holiday so will be using the buses, and Madeira Happy Tours for Day Excursions. our hotel does free buses to funchal so will be hopping on that as well.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report

Enjoy, Madeira is a place where you can do loads or nothing. I have lived here many years and still enjoy the Island, the views, food and people. madeira Happy tours is a great company and Marco (the owner) is a great guy. You may have to pay a bit extra for pick-up as you are out of Funchal, but it is also possible to get an early service bus in and get picked up in the City centre, depending on the tours you chose.Ask marco, he will explain. Great views, don't forget camera!!

Get answers to your questions about Canico
Recent Conversations