We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOTEL on water

Which Norfolk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
HOTEL on water

We are planning a trip to Virginia in Oct. We live in Arizona so want to be near the water as much as possible. Are there any small communities on a marina or lake that would have lodging for our last night in Virginia? We leave out of NORF the next day. The postings about muggings, smashed cars, etc and moldy hotels make me leary of the new downtown. We still need loding in Pertersburg if anyone could help with that. Thanks from Sunny Tempe

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOTEL on water

Marinas with lodging -- I'm drawing a blank. I can see that on the Eastern Shore, in Smithfield, but Norfolk is in the center of nothing but big cities. Small communities would be a drive.

Muggings and smashed cars? Where was that post? That is NOT the new downtown-- that's the OLD downtown. New downtown is the place to be. The Sheraton Waterside is on the water (hence the clever name) and there is a marina. Across the road is the Marriott; it would be just a short walk to see the water. You could also consider an oceanfront hotel in Virginia Beach - about a 20-minute drive all interstate to Norfolk.

If you're interested in Smithfield, let me know and I'll post again.

Check www.norfolkcvb.com

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HOTEL on water

Thanks. I like the looks of Smithfield. Since we live in a large city, I like to go to small communities for vacation. We will be coming from Petersburg for the night and then the next morning we need to be at the airpport by 9 am. Smithfield would probably result in more driving than necessary. A hotel near the Waterside Festival Marketplace may be the answer for this trip. Thanks for the advice. I feel safe in Tempe and Phoenix but not in Norfolk. Silly, isn't it!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOTEL on water

Since you have an early flight, the downtown Norfolk hotels would be a good choice. There are many wonderful restaurants nearby. There are hotels closer to the airport, but there is nothing interesting about them.

We were in Sedona for a week in May. That was a great vacation. We didn't see too much of Phoenix - just the airport and roads in and out.

4. Re: HOTEL on water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 12:21
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk