We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

norfolk/newport news commute

portland
2 posts
Save Topic
norfolk/newport news commute

I am looking to move to possibly norfolk close to hampton tunnel or other bridge .I am wondering what the commute time in january to april will be from norfolk to riverside regional hospital/newport news at 6am (leaving norfolk to NN) and at 330pm NN to norfolk. Do you have any suggestions where to live for faster commute. I am having trouble finding housing in NN and have not heard that great things about NN so I am willing to travel 30-45 minutes to work from norfolk. Is this feasable from norfolk to NN in the offseason Jan.-april.? Any suggestions where to find decent housing area in norfolk? Thanks for your help. ajm47

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: norfolk/newport news commute

Dealing with a tunnel can be iffy any day of the week. One acident or breakdown can tie the tunnel up for hours at a time especially just before or during rush hour. If you ae going to be working around Riverside I would be looking to stay on that side of the water. There are many places on that side of the water besides NN you can look at.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: norfolk/newport news commute

Have you tried the other direction and looked for housing in Williamsburg? Also, there are some really nice areas of NN/Hampton - Oyster Point area is one.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: norfolk/newport news commute

From Jan to April, 6am and 3:30pm, normally shouldn't be a problem but as others have said....anything can and sometimes does happen near or in the tunnel and when it does it can ruin your commute (if not your day). I'm a big fan of Norfolk but have to say, if I worked in Newport News, I'd be looking for a home on that side of the tunnels. And by the way, the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel is by far the most congested route, the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel is another consideration, much less traffic. To use that tunnel look for housing in Portsmouth, Suffolk, or parts of Chesapeake....but remember it's still a tunnel. What you are looking for in housing? If you give some things you are interested in like parks, water, apt, house, condo, $$, etc. maybe we can give you some ideas. There are lots of nice places in the entire area. If you haven't already, you may want to post in the Newport News forum about housing suggestions near Riverside. Good Luck and welcome to the area.

4. Re: norfolk/newport news commute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2007, 18:29
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk