We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norfolk Naval Station: Things in Walking Distance??

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Norfolk Naval Station: Things in Walking Distance??

In a couple of weeks, I'll be down in Norfolk, station in the Navy Lodge at Norfolk Naval Station. On the Saturday, I will not have a car. What is there to do within walking distance of the lodge(either on- or off-base)?

Thank you!

Sarah

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norfolk Naval Station: Things in Walking Distance??

If you are staying at the Navy Lodge that I'm familiar with, it's on Hampton Blvd outside of the base gates. Check to see if they have a shuttle to downtown area or other destinations. Also check local bus, wwwgohrt.com, Hampton Roads Transit; see if the base has bike rentals, just use caution, our roads are not very bike friendly. Hampton Blvd is a 4-6 lane busy road, lined with gas stations, fast food, not too much scenic or interesting. If you can get access to the piers (fairly close to lodge) that's interesting (unless you see that sort of thing every day!)...it'll be cold and windy. Again, if it interests you, there is a base bus tour from the pass office. The base exchange is about 2-3 mi walk from lodge but they may have a shuttle. In Downtown Norfolk, there is an interesting working waterfront, ferry to Downtown Portsmouth (cheap....ferry, not Portsmouth) museums, great restaurants, mall, library, USS Wisconsin (free) and next door is Nauticus Maritime Museum. The Ghent area is nice; unique local shops, old movie theatre called Naro...runs indep films & cool oddball stuff as well as some recent mainstream movies, plenty of great restaurants/cafes/bars. Ghent business district is located on Colley Ave (parallel to Hampton Blvd, but about 3-4 mi from lodge toward downtown) at 21st St. Hope this helps, post again if you have more questions.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norfolk Naval Station: Things in Walking Distance??

If you do go on base, be sure to see the USS Freedom-the Navy's newest ship. It came down the Chesapeake from Annapolis,Md this week. I'm not sure of the pier #, but it's closer to the Subs than the Carriers. Also McArthur Mall in downtown Norfolk.

3. Re: Norfolk Naval Station: Things in Walking Distance??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk