We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norfolk for Weekend with Teenager

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Norfolk for Weekend with Teenager

Bringing a teen to Norfolk for tennis tourney on ODU campus. Right now have a reservation for SpringHillSuites ODU but wondering if I want to change it. The location looks good for the tournament but I'm wondering about the safety of the area. Would it be better to stay downtown (looking at Residence Inn Norfolk or Marriott Waterside as alternatives). Also if you have time for just one tourist attraction in the area, what would you do? Thanks in advance for all thoughts on this!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norfolk for Weekend with Teenager

In my opinion, the Springhill Suites location is safe and most convenient for your time at ODU but you will need to drive anywhere else you want to go. Having said that, the downtown Marriott's are very nice, convenient to downtown activities and the Waterside location may provide nice views of the waterfront. ODU is a short 10-15 minute drive. Not knowing your interests, I'll mention a few attractions; (my favorite) sail on the American Rover from Waterside, take the Elizabeth River Ferry to downtown Portsmouth and back, Paddlewheeler Carrie B, Nauticus Maritime Museum and Battleship Wisconsin, Chrysler Art Museum, Botanical Gardens. Descriptions of these and other sites can be found under the Things To Do section. Hope this helps.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norfolk for Weekend with Teenager

Very, very helpful! I think I am going to keep my reservation as is just based on hotel amenities, but it's good to know about the driving involved. Those attractions sound interesting and will check them out. Thanks!

3. Re: Norfolk for Weekend with Teenager

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk