We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

South Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Drivers note: The little river tunnel in mid-town Norfolk assesses a modest toll, but there is no way to pay this toll (no booths) unless you happen to have EZ Pass. If you live somewhere that doesn't offer EZ Pass (like me), the 'Elizabeth River Tunnels' authority will photograph your plates and send you an invoice for the toll, WITH A HEALTHY 200% ADDITIONAL FEE. This is presumably a 'legal' scam? By all means take a different route around Norfolk, or avoid the place and its businesses altogether!

100 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

The downtown tunnel between Portsmouth and Norfolk was a problem for a friend of mine. Those cameras are nicknamed by some "scameras".

My friend received an invoice for using the tunnel four times. Included was one very small picture.

He used the tunnel one time over, one time back. He requested a copy of the photos for each occurrence since they are charging for four occurrences. The Customer Service supervisor said if he wanted copies he must subpoena them. Can you believe it.

My friend is not against tolls at all,nor am I, but is against charging someone without evidence. There is lots of room on the invoice they sent him for each picture. And, of course, he knows this invoice is incorrect to begin with.

Is this a glitch where the camera took a shot too quickly or jammed and took multiple shots?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

This link might be helpful, but I have no experience with it. https:/…locateNotice.php

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

The Downtown Tunnel has photo pay. You go, a pic is taken of your license plate, a bill is sent to you. In my friend's case, the pictures doubled up.

I don't know if USDProfessor's other tunnel has this.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

To correct my last post, the bills doubled up....and so maybe did the picture-taking on which the bills are based ....but they won't send the other pix to him without a subpoena.

Suffolk, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Since I do not have an EZ Pass I was sent a bill for $7.25 for Elizabeth River Tunnel use, a large portion of the bill (more than the actual toll) was a processing fee. I paid the bill 07/10/14. Now two months later I received another bill for tunnel use prior to the bill which I paid in full. This time the Toll fee is $1.75 and the fees are $28.00! TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS IN FEES FOR A $1.75 in tolls that were for use prior to my paying the only invoice that I have ever received from the Tunnels.

I have opened a dispute over this matter, and will reply again after the resolution.

So far I feel that I am the victim of a horrendous SCAM, I hope that it is simply a mistake, which should not have happened. Even with a hopefully positive resolution, I have been victimized, the stress alone coupled with an unnecessary effort to defend myself is unjust!

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Take your concerns to VDOT. The company that is doing this is doing a horrible job and VDOT has been all over them.

Suffolk, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Thank You for the suggestion.

I will wait to see how the matter progresses, then contact VDOT with the complete information.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
853 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

VDOT is a joke who will do nothing. and the tolls are a complete joke.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Here's a link to a recent article: hamptonroads.com/2014/04/car-renter-gets-792… The page also has links to more recent developments in the situation. VDOT is concerned, but the billing is done by a third party contractor, and they've made major mistakes since they took over the tolls in that area. It's not pretty, I'll say that!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel

Thanks. I'll share it with others.

Reply to: Toll Scam: Norfolk city tunnel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk