We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinhão winery tour June/July 2014

Which Pinhao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Pinhão winery tour June/July 2014

Hi,

we are a couple looking to catch an early morning train from Porto to Pinhão and then visit a couple of Quintas (wineries) in one day. We are looking to mainly aim at the better table wine (vinho tinto) places and do two to three depending on how close they are. As we understand it, the best (easiest and cheapest) way to do this is to take a taxi. We will take the last train back to Porto that night.

We are looking for recommendations on

-the best Quintas to visit for their table wine;

-whether visiting a couple of Quintas and the village of Pinhão will sufficiently give us a sample of the famous views;

-whether the taxi is indeed the best option; and

-if anyone is travelling to the region over the next week and a half (25/6-5/7) who wants to share the taxi for the day to make it cheaper.

We understand that they are famous for their port, however we have already sampled a fair few vats and love our wine, so are ready to see what the region has to offer.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinhão winery tour June/July 2014

I hope you will share your experiences/recommendations after your travels - especially your experiences with taxis and the quintas you visit -- my husband and I will be there in late July and are trying to figure out some of the last details as well.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinhão winery tour June/July 2014

Hi indygem,

We visited the Douro Valley today. I'll give you a rundown of how the day went, though I'm afraid it won't be very helpful.

-9am bus from Porto to Vila Real (on Rodonorte, just under €10 each)

-taxi to Palace Mateus (just under €6)

-tour and wine tasting at the Palace for an hour or so (we arrived at 11, right as an English tour began; €10 each for the palace, wine tasting depends on what you taste but is only a few euros)

-12.40pm local bus back to Vila Real (less than €5 for two)

-1.30pm bus to Regua (on Rodonorte again; around €4 each)

*note: the bus arrived in Regua 40 minutes after the website said it would, as well as leaving later, so we barely had time to have lunch before leaving

-3.08pm train to Pinhao (can't remember the price sorry, not more than €5 each)

-6.20pm train back to Porto (around €10 each, I got a 25% discount for being under 25 though)

We didn't end up visiting any quintas as we just couldn't justify the expense of getting a taxi for however many hours. We were talking to a bartender in Pinhao who said there aren't that many quintas around Pinhao either.

Basically, I'd recommend hiring a car. From our research it seems quite reasonably priced; the cheapest I saw was under €30 for 24 hours, though I have no idea how reliable the company is etc. In comparison we spent (very roughly) €70 just on transport alone today. The only reason we didn't hire a car is because I'm under 25 so the cost is greatly increased, and my partner's licence has just expired, with the new one stuck in Australia for the moment!

There really was not much to do in Pinhao for 2 hours without a car, and it's not particularly pretty, in my opinion. The hills along the river as seen from the train though, as well as the views on the bus from Regua, were quite lovely. Palacio Mateus outside Vila Real was also fantastic.

So! After all that, hire a car if you can, or perhaps try and stay at a quinta/in one of the Douro Valley towns.

Sorry this wasn't much help; we really wanted to taste wines around the valley, but just couldn't figure out a reasonably-priced way to do it!

3. Re: Pinhão winery tour June/July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Pinhao
More Pinhao Topics