We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Mojacar

Clackmannanshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Mojacar

My mum is on holiday just now staying with her sister in law in Cullar. She has just phoned in a terrible state having had her handbag stolen in a restaurant in Mojacar. Obviously in her bag she had all her personal belongings, credit cards, and 220 euros. These people that do this are real scum of the earth. I have phoned her bank and placed stops on all her cards.

I really hope these people who did this are happy with their find. My mum is 68, and is going through a very tough time just now as her partner of 5 years has just ended the relationship. She took the holiday to help her get over this.

Anyway sorry for the rant but I am really upset and angry. My question is:- Is this a regular occurance in Mojacar?

Plaza Nueva
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fuente Publica de Mojacar
Church of Santa Maria
Churches & Cathedrals
Torre del Pirulico
UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Mojacar

I'm so sorry about your mum & I hope they find whoever commited this crime.

Unfortunately, as Mojacar & the surrounding areas have become more developed, this sort of opportunist crime is on the increase & I have heard of similar cases recently. Apparently 11 bags were stolen in the local Mercadona in one morning at the end of April so it does look like a particular person or gang are working the area.

However, please let me stress that Mojacar is NOT a crime hotspot. Bag snatches & other non violent crime is on the increase all over Spain.

To all holidaymakers in Spain....please take all the care you would when you are out & about in your home towns & cities. Keep your bag close to you, if you stop, loop the handles through your chair leg or keep your bag on your knee. For gentlemen, keep a hand on your belongings in your pockets & be aware. Don't put mobiles, cameras, etc on the table in front of you. DON'T take all your belongings out with you, carry one card if you have to & the minimum of cash that you will need.

Unfortunately, these precautions need to be taken almost worldwide now.

Clackmannanshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Mojacar

Senoraylan

Thanks very much for your kind words. It is terrible that these things happen and you are right, they can happen anywhere. It just hits home more when it happens to someone close to you.

We had an attempted pickpocket in Barcelona which is probably one of the worst places in Europe for petty crime. We had done so much research beforehand and were very well prepared but still we were very shock that the guy attempted to get near to hubby on the metro so get into his pockets. Feeling bad about that I can understand how my mum must be feeling.

The police need to take a tougher stand on these petty criminals both in the UK and abroad. In fact we should learn some lessons from Dubai were crime is virtually non existant!

Thanks again

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Mojacar

sugarbabe61,

I hope your mum gets over the shock quickly & it doesn't put her off returning to the area.

My husband was mugged in Madrid...they even took his wedding ring! He thinks his drink was spiked as all he remembers is sitting in a bar having a drink & next thing he was waking up in the street minus watch, phone, ring & wallet! However, it hasn't put us off going back & it is still our favourite city.

4. Re: Crime in Mojacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Mojacar
Recent Conversations