We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mojacar

limerick, ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Mojacar

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of going to Mojacar in May of this year. We are flying into Almeria airport and wonder if car hire is a necessity? We can get taxi transfers and will probably go down this route. However, is it possible to explore the area on local buses, wouldn't mind visiting some of the neighbouring towns. We hope to book an apartment near Playa El Cantal area......again wondering if this is one of the better spots for some life (but not too much as we do like a quiet enough Spanish holiday). We frequently go to Nerja and it seems that Almeria/Mojacar area is Nerja-ish from what I've read, could anyone confirm this for us? Lots of questions I know but we are nearing the decision time so I thought I would look for some help before deciding on Nerja again or what sounds like a similar beautiful area? Tips on apartments would also be great! Thanks for any help provided......

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mojacar

Mojacar pueblo is quaint, similar to Frigiliana, but if you are expecting Mojacar on the coast to be like Nerja, I think you will be disappointed.

Ireland
Level Contributor
933 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mojacar

1. You probably would save money by renting a car in May. Even the unofficial taxis would charge you in the region of €60 each way for transfers to Mojacar Playa.

2. Local bus service in Mojacar Playa is good. The yellow bus serves all 3 miles of Playa + Mojacar Pueblo and Macenas. It is an inexpensive service.

3. Buses to nearby villages like Garrucha and Vera are plentiful and inexpensive also.

4. Mojacar Playa is a working town all year and has a population of Spanish and expats.

5. Eating out is inexpensive and you have a choice of Spanish, Argentinian, French, Italian, Asian cooking. No MacDonalds, thank God.

6. You can walk for miles and miles on the level in Mojacar Playa. But, if you want more difficult walks there is the "new" Cliff Walk towards Macenas. You can do some relatively easy hill walking also.

7. It is a renters market in May and remember you will be in the warmest and driest climate of mainland Spain and it is likely you will get cheaper rental than Costa del Sol.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 19:09
limerick, ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mojacar

Thanks so much, great info!

4. Re: Mojacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Mojacar
Recent Conversations