We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Mojacar changed?

Warrington
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has Mojacar changed?

I worked in Mojacar Playa at the Pueblo Indalo for 6 months back in the summer of 1998 and I loved the place - I'd like to visit again now that I'm married and planning a family, but how much has it changed?

Back then it was really quiet with a few bars and restaurants - I seem to remember a British run one called Badgers where they did karaoke, a lovely Spanish restarant near the Pueblo Indalo where they did gorgeous peppered chicken, a small bar/club called Holidays, a Mexican restarant on the other side of the road and an open air nighclub near the Commercial Centre.

I seem to remember that the first icecream parlour was just opening up and they were in the process of developing the promenade!

Any pictures or descriptions of the resort now would be most appreciated!!

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

Hi, there. The whole area has changed beyond belief, there is massive building work going on in the Vera/Mojacar area. Mojacar is now almost joined to Garrucha, which in turn is merging with Vera & Vera Playa & onwards towards Villaricos & San Juan de Los Terreros. We first started visiting the area in 2000 (staying at Vera Playa) & we thought we had found our own little bit of unspoilt paradise........no more. I remember driving through Albox & the villagers coming out of their houses to stare at us!!! There is now a sizeable expat community in every town in the area.

It gets very busy now, especially in the summer months, you will literally crawl down the Paseo de Meditteraneo now, the traffic is bumper to bumper & try parking at the Centro Comercial after 10 in the morning....no chance. Badgers is still going, there are plenty of ice cream parlours now, along with English supermarkets & bars. You still get plenty of Spanish holidaying in the area.

I'm not trying to be negative about Mojacar, we do still love the area, but to make you aware that it has changed.

Here are a couple of sites which may help you.

www.mojacar.co.uk

www.mojacar.es/MojacarEnglish/default.asp…

Any more questions, fire away, I'll do my best to help.

Warrington
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

Thanks so much,

I realised afterwards, the club was called Hollywood I think, rather than Holidays - I can't believe its changed so much! Can you liken it to any other resort in somewhere like the Balearics or Canaries? Back in '98 a lot of people in the resort knew each other, I suppose it was more "villagey".

I look forward to returning in the not so distant future!

By the way, has the airport altered? do they still have the viewing lounge upstairs?

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

Hiya,

Compared to the Costa del Sol, for example, Mojacar is still very low key, just a lot busier & with more shops & housing than there was.

Can't help you with the airport, I'm afraid, we usually drive from the UK, or have flown to other airports & hired a car from there. There is a new autopista linking Vera & Cartagena (nearly finished), making San Javier(Murcia) airport more accessible. Also a high speed rail link is on the way, linking Alicante & Almeria.

The whole province of Almeria is really promoting itself to the tourist industry.

Let us know what you think after you have been.

U>K>
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

to reiterate senoraylans comments you probably wont recognise the place now but no matter its still a great place still very laid back-the Guardia still dont belt up and smoke in their patrol cars (whilst on the phone!!!) but things are changing and quite rapidly too. The sun always shines (well nearly) and of course the Fiestas and Tapas never change-try and come to coincide with the Moors and Christians Week early June its something youll never forget - but book in early cos I think Madrid empties to come here for it.-hope this helps

U>K>
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

Forgot to mention -Almeria Airport has/is undergoing quite a big expansion programme (for its size) new lounges carusels runway duty free shop car parks etc lots more flight coming in there now -Jet 2 (Yorkshire based) starting flights in May Monarch/Easyjet/Thomas Cook/Ryannair/FirstChoice are some of the airlines already using the Airport but it is still hassle free and not congested like Alicante

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

Dear All,

We have been offered a villa in San Juan de los Terreros. I have my reservations as the area looks like a building site. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is not the case? We are looking for some decent beaches where we can relax, get away from the Brits and enjoy the local food. Does this area fit the bill?

Ben

7. Re: Has Mojacar changed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Mojacar