We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you Spain Don't

Welling, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Do you Spain Don't

Has anyone else had trouble obtaining a refund from this company? Our contact clearly stated the car should be returned full. When we returned it to Solmar however they said they only operate a return empty policy, but promised a refund when they spoke to DYP the next day. That was on 1/3/2012, we have had several excuses and promises, given bank account details but still no refund. The latest excuse was it had been delayed due to a fault in their system and would be paid by the end of June, it was not. Am now contact trading standards. Don't use this company ( Do You Spain or Solmar) they are scammers. I've seen many other complaints .

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you Spain Don't

Do You Spain are not scammers, they are a broker and your problem is with the hire car company not them. They give you the base price and any extras are down to the hire company's terms and conditions. If DYS's website showed that you chose a full/full fuel policy then you should've check with Solmar's terms and conditions because they superceded any of the broker. I'm surprised that it has been two years and still no resolution to your problem but I do think your problem is with Solmar and not DYS. I had a look at DYS's FAQs and it says this:

Quote: "Fuel

Can I choose the fuel policy for my car?

Yes, you can choose the fuel policy as long as there’s a supplier that offers this fuel policy in your chosen location. Once you get to the car list page you can choose the option of full/full or full/empty.

Full/Full: You will be given the car with a full tank of fuel which you will pay for on collection. You need to return the car with a full tank and the money you paid for the tank on collection will be refunded. The cost of the full tank can vary between 50 and 160eur. The exact amount charged for fuel will depend on the car type and model. For example, the tank of fuel for a 9-seater car will cost quite a lot more than the fuel for a small car. The exact fuel prices can also depend on the supplier. You can find all the information you need regarding the specific fuel policy for your booking on your rental voucher.

Full/Empty: You will be given the car with a full tank of fuel which you will pay for on collection. The cost of the full tank can vary between 50 and 160eur. The exact amount charged for fuel will depend on the car type and model. With this fuel policy there is no refund for unused fuel. You’ll find all the information you need regarding the fuel policy on your rental voucher, as the specific fuel policy for each booking depends on the supplier.

Under no circumstances is the fuel included in the rental price. You will pay for the fuel in the local office on collection of the car. " Unquote

Solmar's fuel policy is:

Quote " 0,25€ (VAT incl.).

Fuel policy:

SolMar delivers all cars with a full tank of fuel. The car must be returned empty. For 3 days rentals, clients will be asked to pay half of the tank and to drop the car off half full of fuel. (Full – 1/2)

Diesel extra charge. If the requested vehicle is Diesel there is an extra charge from 3.65€ VAT incl

If the customer does not return the vehicle with fuel agreed, there will be a refuelling service charge of 24.50€ VAT incl., plus fuel missing" Unquote

It clearly shows that they have a full/empty policy so is it possible you misunderstood the wording on the original booking form from DYS - did it say on the email confirmation that it was full/full? If your hire was only 3 days then that would be the policy that Solmar have for short hires, if you go over that its full/empty.

I hope that you resolve this but after two years I would think you might still have some trouble proving your case. Just looked at your other posts and it says 2014, assume your date in this post is wrong?

Edited: 01 July 2014, 17:16
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Welling, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you Spain Don't

Firstly I envy you with so much time on your hands but you are wrong in simple terms DYS have accepted responsibility and asked for our bank details but keep dodging putting the money in. Our initial contact with DYS specifically states FULL TO FULL and then alleviated THEIR company NOT CHOSEN BY US. So brokers have no responsibility? Are DYS a charity or do they make money from the deal. Do you work for them? If not too much time on your hands get a life.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,945 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you Spain Don't

Why havent you involved your Credit Card company? (assuming you paid on that) They are jointly responsible with your provider and can reclaim the transaction from them on your behalf under section 75 of the consumer credit act.

CJB iwas trying to assist. No need to abuse her. She has no connection to DYS or Solmar. Complaints like yours can be avoided by reading T&C`s and checking the booking vouchers once emailed to you. Like CJB i cant see why you have let it go on for over 2 years.

Jose @ DYS used to be a TA member and often sorted peoples problems on forum, unfortunately TA in their wisdom cancelled his membership.

He always seemed a genuine, fair man who runs a generally decent company. There are worse out there, truly.

Welling, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you Spain Don't

That's great advice will try that. I don't know why you mention two years this started in March 2014. As I said responsibility has already been admitted they keep saying they will credit the money but don't . That is why we have not involved anyone else, but will now involve the credit card company. I don't think the reply you are alluding to was an attempt to be helpful, it was completely DYS are right. We have a contact that clearly states T&Cs and it clearly states that our agreement is full to full. I don't think I abused anyone, just annoyed that even DYS say this is wrong. You appear to have personal knowledge of Jose do you know how to make phone contact? Also what is TA?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you Spain Don't

Hi Pat in your OP you stated 1/3/2012 that us why we are all thinking why bring it up now, but in your last post you said it started in March 2014.

CJB is a very helpful member on this forum, and was trying to help you, so too with MT. It's been said many times to read (and read again) all the t and c's.

I do hope you get answers and refund.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you Spain Don't

Thanks for your suppot MT and CC, I was only trying to help and I was confused by the 2012 date too. I won't get into a discussion with the OP on why I have time on my hands, that's my business.

Jose is a director of DYS, they used to have an account with TA where they helped their customers but it was stopped by TA administrators TA stands for Trip Advisor.

If you have proof of the T&Cs saying you had full/full fuel policy that's fine and I hope that you get your refund.

Welling, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you Spain Don't

So sorry Ceejayblue. Had had an awful day and was sick with promises made by both DYS and Solmar to ensure refund was in our account. Also hacked off that we have given DYS loads of business ourselves and recommended them to lots of friends prior to this and had even used them again due to promises of refund.Had spent ages on the phone to Trading Standards, who are now investigating.

All of the above no excuse for rudeness an dunes essay remarks.

Sincere apologies

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you Spain Don't

That's OK Pat, I know it can be frustrating when things don't go right on car hires. Hope you get it sorted.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you Spain Don't

The real problem here and on so many other threads on this site and on other forums is that people expect to hire a car costing €10,000 and more for maybe €80 a week. It is not going to happen.

€80 might be an upfront charge but then you are going to get loaded with extras (seen and unseen) to make up the money for the supplier.

It is better to pay a reasonable upfront price from a trusted dealer who will not then mess you about. I did that in May and will use the same company again in October.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,945 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you Spain Don't

True in some regard, Kaneda. However i have purposely booked with Recordgo for a nine day hire in November on a Full/Empty basis. The car, 5 door Corsa, is 82€ for the 9days with pick up Malaga and return in La Linea. Yes, I will use the tankful as a drive to Cordoba, on to Seville, Cadiz or Jerez back to Gibraltar/La Linea and trips in between. The fuel cost is 85€ (email from RecordGo) and i expect them to try and upsell the excess cover. But i have an annual policy so will leave the c card deposit, in Euro.

Helle Hollis are 150.86€ on a Full/Full basis plus i need to refill, and they dont do the one way hire. They are my preferred supplier, but horses for courses.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz