We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Which Cala Millor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Hi. Am heading to Mallorca for the first time in April. I am quite comfortable driving "on the wrong side of the road" but this is my first time in Spain and wondered if there are any little things that I should be aware of - like giving way to the right, or at traffic lights?

Thank you

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

If your avatar pic is of yourself I would suggest a booster seat ;-)

Other than that, no, nothing really. Just watch out for speed limits the same as the UK.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

If you are driving a LH drive car everything becomes second nature very quickly.For me the biggest worry is joining motorways eg following the loop from the airport onto the main drag into Palma especially as this is at the start of your holiday..Get up to ambient speed by accelerating strongly in the right hand filter lane before indicating left to join the main traffic flow and before you run out of road in the joining lane.Before you drive off check all your mirrors especially driving mirror.Check how to switch on lights and how to activate screenwash and wipers before you move off. Eg my car at home (German) has hand controls on the opposite side to my wife's (Korean).

Suffolk
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Thank you - all noted

London
Level Contributor
515 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

One thing to be aware of is that the entry and exit slip roads from the motorway are often the same, so as you are trying to come off, others are trying to get on. Normally in the UK, these are entirely separate, so you do have to be extra careful

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Be extra careful when pulling out, check mirrors and look around and of course keep on the right.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

I found using sat-nav very helpful, I don't use it much now but it does give you plenty of warning of junctions and roundabouts before you get to them.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Make sure you are absolutely k-lined before setting off. It`ll reduce the stress of driving in Palma and the Via Centura generally.

Seriously all good advice above.

I`d just add don`t be "bullied" by boy racers so you miss your turn. Think ahead and be in the right lane at the right time wherever possible.

Assertive and responsible.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
985 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga…

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
985 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

One of the major differences driving in Spain is how they handle traffic islands, roundabouts.

As is natural you must give way to traffic already on the Island and wait for a gap to enter. The different bit , especialy for those used to driving in the UK, is in the lane control when negotiating the island itself. You must give way to traffic on the right, that is to say that if you get on an island in the inner lane (left lane) of a two lane island you must give way to traffic in the outer lane (right lane - referred to euthemistically as the slow lane) IE; if you intend to go straight on in the left lane (fast lane) to pass a slower vehicle in the right lane (slow lane) you must be aware that the slower vehicle could continue to circulate the island passed the exit you want, and you must give way to let it. If you turn right into an exit while another continues to turn left around the island you will be the one 'cutting him up' not the other way around as in the UK. Spanish drivers are notorious for lack of use of the directional indicators and so you may be on collision course before you know it. Best advice, given by spanish driving instructors even, is always approach in the right (slow) lane and use that lane to negotiate the island to whichever exit you need, using indicators to show your intent of course. The alternative is to be caught out and forced to circulate the island ad infinitum until someone lets you out.

as above post see driving in Spain travel article

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187438-c86680/Mala…

Manchester
Level Contributor
8 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips for driving in Mallorca?

Don't take your UK Sat Nav with you. The Hire companies rent them.

Most UK Sat Navs warn of speed cameras and speed limits. They are illegal in much of Europe with typical fines of £5000....

12% of Brits driving in Europe last year were fined for it. More in France than anywhere else.

Get answers to your questions about Cala Millor