We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Gran Sol must be good

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Gran Sol must be good

I have been looking at the Trip Advisor Travellers' Choice 2012 of top 25 hotels in European countries.Gran Sol rates #9 in the Top 25 in the whole of Spain.That is some accolade.I have seen it from the outside since the re-build and it certainly looks smart enhancing that part of Cala Bona's streets network.Also it is adults-only.I would like to give it a try and wonder if it might spoil me for other Majorcan hotels I stay in once or twice a year.

I must add that imo Cala Bona has smartened itself up appreciably in the past 2/3 years.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Wirralscouse.........

All I can say is this.......

Get your credit card out and take Mrs.WS to that hotel...as to have a rating that high throughout the whole of Spain speaks volumes.............and as we all know too well...... life is sadly too short.....and so in my opinion I think you should spoil yourselves....

Don't live your life regretting not doing something together.....go for it my good friend and then come back and tell us all about it.....please?

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Thanks Golfer.I will have to get the begging bowl out.Taking Mrs WS to Costa del Sol for a week tomorrow (Sunday).January not usually good in Majorca and Cala Bona shut until April anyway.Lol.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Hi WS,

Weather is pretty good at the moment,around 16 - 17 deg during the day,i was talking to a german neighbour of mine & he said the weather had been much better until i arrived last week.

Went up to cala bona monday & yes it is all closed up,we did find the little cafe on the end of the jetty open.

best regards

45 mac

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

45mac..............

You just had to mention that you found a cafe open at the end of THE JETTY didn't you!!................lol.lol..

Have a lovely time and the forecast upto next Saturday is set for around 14-16C.............mmmmmm...wonderful!!

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Hi MG,

It's the only one i use.lol

45 mac

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Hiya mac.Do you think your German neighbour was accusing you of bringing the bad weather with you?lol

Re cafe near marina in CB.Would that be Bar Nautic then? just a few doors up from Hotel Consul facing the quay.Talking like this just makes me want to be back there.I must wait until September.If I ,as you do,had a place on the island I would be driving all over during this quiet time.So much easier getting around and few people around to distract you.

While I am on in chatty pre-holiday mood I will mention a place I discovered for the first time while driving around last October.You may know it but if you don't it is a beautiful narrow cove/ravine with a deep sandy beach similar to the coves around your place in Cala d'Or and I was really taken with it..Cala Pi.It's a tiny village west of Sa Rapita.Nearly opposite the small supermarket is a long steep flight of steps with a directional sign to "Playa".Well worth the climbing involved.There are some moorings for sailing boats.Indeed it was an airline pilot I met on a First Choice flight who has a boat moored in Majorca who tipped me off about Cala Pi.

Opposite the start of the steps I spotted a Greek-type taverna with a clay oven.The menu appealed to me and I hope to return for a meal there sometime.Trouble is it is miles from where I stay.I'll wager whitehorsepeter knows it.When I was there on a very hot day in October just a few families on the beach and listening to them I suspect German or Dutch. Don't they just find the best places?

I recommend it to forum members who may have access to a car.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Hi WS

It looks a nice enough hotel but to be honest I am very cynical of the whole TA review system these days. Any establishment can create hundreds of bogus accounts in order to boost their own ratings. I heard a discussion on the radio recently where people were openly advertising on the internet a service just to do exactly that, they would generate lots of positive feedback on TA for a fee. They simply created lots of bogus accounts and would use each one to post a few different positive reviews on various sites they were paid to promote.

Recently I posted on a topic about the Sol Guadalupe and commented that I was a bit suspicious about the fact that a huge majority of the five out of five rated reviews were from first time posters.

Strangely enough within about five minute of me posting this a person who had not posted for about 6 months was on criticising my observation and they were one of the one review only brigade. of said hotel, and this was after midnight.

My post was removed by some members of this forum using the report button (not removed by TA as being inappropriate) but it was travel related and did not break any guidelines but to be honest I couldn't be bothered having it reinstated as I have in the past when people have disagreed with my legitimate posts.

Here is what I wrote WS I am sure you will agree nothing untoward there worthy of the TA community rallying round to have it removed

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/ta2f.png/

Edited: 21 January 2012, 12:51
8. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 23:35
Edited: 21 January 2012, 23:35
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

Wouldn't dispute your comments about fictitious praiseworthy reviews Hayzer.I have seen many that aroused my suspicions too.I would not expect there to be much science or work behind the Travellers Choice 2012 Awards on TA.Just a league table of the average of many TA members' ratings for each hotel.I don't for one moment think that Gran Sol is the 9th best hotel in Spain at its price level.However it must be pretty good.

And that's despite the most recent review of Gran Sol (posted 3 months after the stay!) which is not complimentary.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Gran Sol must be good

To all TA members I can assure you the link is perfectly safe and is only a picture of a post I did previously.

As all you can see it is a link to imageshack one of the Internets most respected and safe photo hosting web sites. if you doubt me check it out on google first.

Get answers to your questions about Cala Bona
Recent Conversations