We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

How does Cala Bona compare to Puerto Pollensa? Thinking of visiting in April.

Thanks.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

Both are really nice . PP probably just shades it for me . Cala Bona does have Cala Millor very close by and is a lovely stretch of coastline . PP does have the lovely old town of Alcudia very near , as well as the 7 mile stretch of the bay of Alcudia .

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

April not a good time for either.Too chancy weatherwise. I am with kev on this.PP is my preference as there is more to go at in terms of bars and eateries and very good beaches (if you go when the weather is fine). But I must say Cala Bona is a resort on the up and the new Hotel Gran Sol looks like the sort of hotel that PP has been in need of for as long as I remember.

I have been a regular in PP in April.After this year's awful weather for 8 consecutive days I don't think it's worth the chance any longer. £2,000 down the pan which could have been better spent a month later with a better outcome.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

April is too soon to appreciate Cala Bona or PP. Not everywhere is open and few visitors makes the resorts resemble a ghost town. May a different matter altogether.

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

All depends what time in April you plan to go, Easter Sunday 2014 falls on the 20th and most things will be open by then in PP...maybe the same in Cala Bona? Regarding the weather, I think all over Europe this year had abnormal weather earlier on ....even in May, certainly wasn't as nice as to what we normally experience, heating on instead of the Air Con which we have alway required at some point during our May visits. Weather is a risky business..never know what it is going to do!! In the present temperatures lots of folk in PP are hoping for cooler conditions.....

I am a great lover of PP but it all depends on what your requirements are, Cala Bona has maybe more entertainment for children....and is also a very pleasant resort.

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

Just seen your other thread....it is early April you are going! I would go for it, PP is a a beautiful town and be plenty enough open, after all the local community have to be catered for all year round, and you could be very fortunate with the weather. Miramar is a great suggestion....very central and handy for the bus station.

Essex
Destination Expert
for Cala Bona
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

Very hard to call this one! PP is beautiful, fantastic beaches, shallow water especially for younger children, lovely places to eat, weekly market, great hotels, buses go up and down the coast. CB harbour, lovely places to eat, great hotels, buses and boat trips go up and down the coast, 5 minutes walk to Cala Millor for fabulous beach, shops, restaurants, bars. Depending on the age of your children, little ones it would be PP but older children/teens the Cala Bona would be my choice. Not doubt others will disagree! Good luck!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

Thanks all, lots of useful info.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

We went to Cala Bona first 2 weeks of April 2013, and weather wise most days were fine - T shirts but a jacket in the evening. We did have a storm on one day with hail (snow on the mountains) but a friend who lives in Palma told me it had been coldest winter for well over 100 yrs.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

And the last 2 weeks in April 2013 were awful.Cold, wet and windy and no sun at all for 7 days in the last week of the month in Pto Pollensa.I was there and I wish I hadn't been. Even Paradise in the Sun can be a drag without the Sun!

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
90 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cala Bona v Puerto Pollensa?

I like Cala Bona better, however, cant go wrong with either. We went to CB on 31st May it was 24 c most days but cold on nights. It spoilt the swimming for me as it was freezing in the pool and sea. As I was with my 81 yr old mom we needed all the benches walking along the flat footpaths. Lots to do and see in both areas, have fun

Get answers to your questions about Cala Bona
Recent Conversations