We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Expensive??

Chesterfield
11 posts
Save Topic
Is it Expensive??

We (family of 4 - children 4 and 5) are looking to book next years holiday to Cala D'or, but have heard reports that it is expensive once you are there. We have only been to Alcudia before and found that this was good value for money. Can anyone help?

Vita Bel II
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours
glasgow
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Expensive??

From a food point, Cala D'or is no dearer or cheaper than any other resort in Majorca. It only depends where you wish to eat . There are numerous eateries, where good value breakfasts can be had. Most of these are situated on the perimeter of the town centre. The same goes for evening meals. However the restaurants around the Marina can be be a bit pricy, but whether they are good value for money, that is up to the individual. I always use the John Burton Race and Gordon Ramsay philosophy which is, the cost from the supplier is then passed on to the customer by a multiple of three. Use this and judge for yourself if you have had value for money. Avoid some of the town centre restaurants, as they will charge you steep prices for rather basic fare.

Worthing
Level Contributor
113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Expensive??

We have been to Majorca several times and stayed in Port de Pollenca, Santa Ponsa, Cala Bona and Cala D'or as well as Palma city.

Ignoring Palma, little to choose price wise as it depends what you are looking for as you can eat out cheap or expensive wherever you go. We avoid Macdonalds etc like the plague.

We like good food at reasonable prices and were in Cala D'or three weeks ago again and ate in four nights as there is a very good supermarket near the large roundabout as you enter the town but ate out the rest of the time.

We have two very hungry teenagers who are not afraid to try local food and in the town, Bar Lovento was good at around 60 euros for the four of us with drinks and three courses.

At the Marina was our favorite, Sancora, same family own it, here a little more and similar menu came to about 70 euros a night, you must try sea bream with Tumbet delicious.

If you have a car get down to Porto Petro for lunch a few times, only 5 mins but La Caracola is a small restaurant used by the locals and we had drinks, 4 different Pa amboli, huge salad and chips all for 20 euros a day, fantastic value.

The only bad meal was lunch at Big Nays bar in Cala Egos, plastic picture menu and nothing original, we had to go as the only place showing the cricket, never again.

You should have a lovely holiday and more low rise than Alcudia with small coves rather than a huge beach, different but cosier.

peterborough
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Expensive??

we have been to cala d'or for the last two years and love it the average meal there is about 65 euros and thats for four of us (two children) in the marina it can be about ten euros more but it is a far better location, we went for two weeks and never ate in the same restaurant twice, i should think it is quieter that alcudia but it is very nice

blackpool
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Expensive??

In reply to Bazza51, we visited Big Nays Bar in Cala Egos on several occasions whilst on holiday in August 2007. Couldn't fault it. Friendly service and excellent food. We ate there a number of times, great choice and value for money. Plenty of it and very tasty - too much for one person sometimes. If your kids like burgers they'll never find another like the size and quality served at Big Nays and the spare ribs are to die for !!! In fact whatever we chose we enjoyed it all, no complaints whatsoever. Great atmosphere too, especially on match days !!! So if you're ever that way on give it a try - We can definitely recommend it and we weren't having to pay 60 - 70 Euros for it either !!!!! Oh, and by the way Bazza51, as for the plastic picture menu - you're not paying for that and you don't have to eat it either !!!!

Tina, Jez and Robbie.

5. Re: Is it Expensive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2009, 14:10
westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Expensive??

Hey Mr Manager of Big Nays - act your age not your shoe size! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and your establishment is not to everyones taste, including mine. Get over it and move on! I think its rather immature to criticise someone for wanting to watch cricket when your establishment caters to the football fraternity and all their screaming kids.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Expensive??

Des, Bang out of order - everyone is entitled to their own opinion,and where does Bazza say that his holiday was ruined by it?! Honestly.

blackpool
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Expensive??

I feel I must reply to Makk28 and NAVARRA. With regard to both your statements "Everyone is entitled to their opinion ", surely that applies to Des-cala-dor too - doesn't it? After all thats his opinion. Or does that statement only apply when its acceptable to all. It seems to me you need to practice what you preach guys - and thats my opinion !!

Worthing
Level Contributor
113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Expensive??

In reply to the very childish Manager of Big Nays bar in Cala Egos, if you are going to run a business then be prepared to accept the opinions of every potential customer or don't bother.

I am afraid I prefer to eat more like the locals and hate what some british people have done to Spain which is why we ate once at your bar and never again.

What is not to my families taste is clearly what many brits are looking for and your bar certainly caters for that type of client who want egg and chips type food and swill it down by the pint.

Nothing wrong with that if thats what you want but I dont.

The people who have been talking on this page and others were looking for more authentic food which is what I was trying to help them with so go and reflect if you are able.

If you want to make an advertisment for your bar then do so but be big enough to accept criticism as this is what helps good debate and people improve themselves, perhaps if you offered a more varied menu you may have been full instead of nearly empty.

I do not wish to get into a slanging match, just help other holiday makers make an informed judgement which many have done for us over the years and I am sorry it has come to this.

By the way, we paid far more in your bar for a far less superior product than every other lunch we had during our two weeks.

10. Re: Is it Expensive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2009, 14:10
Get answers to your questions about Cala d'Or