We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rate

south wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
exchange rate

could somebody please let me know the rate for the euro against the pound is in the resort

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange rate

tedandy.....................

The difference in the resort exchange rate and the one over here,is so small that it really doesn't matter unless you were exchanging many thousands of pounds.................

Over here at the moment you can get 1.1765......................and if you got out there 1.1865 then the only difference on a layout of £500 would be just 5Euros...............

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange rate

Just to say there are 2 published exchange rates £/euro in UK.One is the Money Market rate that is available to institutional financial traders and the other is the tourist rate.The latter is what you can get in the High Street exchanges eg travel agents/Post Office/banks and is a few cents lower than the former.The tourist rate does vary at the numerous exchange venues sometimes by a few cents.But as Golfer says for purchasing your holiday spends the overall picture doesn't amount to much.I got 1.11 at Post Office last Monday.

If you draw euros from a Bancomat in Spain you get the better money-market rate but the commission and the service charge more than negates that advantage.I am happy to pay for the convenience of doing just what I do at home.I need cash? I go the cashpoint.

Every time I post advice on here about commission and bank charges involved in cashpoint euro withdrawals there is usually a response from a holder of a Nationwide Flex Account cardholder pointing out that they do not impose commission or withdrawal charges.However from November 2010 they will be.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange rate

WirralScouse................

Very good research as usual WS which has just been announced this morning by the media,and for anyone else a link is below to allow you to read the finer details................

guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jul/31/nationwide-…

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

glasgow
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange rate

I always use Travelex to get my euros before i leave.

Always a good rate (today is currently 1.1722) and i can pick up my cash at the airport on the day i travel. Also, no commission is charged on the transaction although my bank will charge me a one off fee (usually a %age of the transaction)

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchange rate

The best way to get your money is via an ATM. It's convenient, fairly instant, and no fees associated with it.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: exchange rate

Well Herndon member that may be so for cardholders from US.But it is not true for UK debit/cashcardholders who are charged firstly a commission (up to 3% of the sum withdrawn) and a handling charge (frequently £1.50 per withdrawal).

Edited: 02 August 2010, 21:35
south wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: exchange rate

Thank you all very much

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exchange rate

Ah thanks Wirral, didn't realise you had to pay fees. I have to pay fees in the US for domestic ATM transactions but every time I've travelled abroad I've never had to pay any fees. Didn't realise this was only a US thing. I love using my ATM card abroad avoids any commission fees from traveller's cheques and using my credit card.

9. Re: exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Cala d'Or
Recent Conversations