We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best Restaurants?

Which Cala d'Or hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
The Best Restaurants?

What is the best restaurant in Cala D'or or Cala Egos is a question often asked.

Last Friday for the first time with some friends i tried the recently opened Porto Cari Restaurant on the Egos side of the Marina.

It was one of the few places open around the Marina in February and was quite busy.

After reading other reports about slow service and indifferent food i have to say all 8 of our party had very good service and excellent meals.

Nothing was too much trouble with some of us ordering food cooked plain or with items not on the evening menu but this was no bother to them.

We were that impressed that 10 of us returned on Sunday evening and was equally pleased with the result.

Prices were middle range €18 for an 18oz Sirloin steak and trimmings, €5 for a sweet, €3 a pint of beer.

Certainly not the most expensive on the Marina but in one of the best waterside positions.

Sancora Restaurant on the town side of the Marina takes some beating but Porto Cari has certainly upped its game and should be given a try IMO.

It would be interesting to hear from the Cala D'or regulars and one off visitors what you think is the best Restaurant in the area and where you have received good service.

28SAC

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Hi SAc,

We tried Porto Cari just after it opened last year & although the service was slow we really enjoyed the food & the setting overlooking the marina, it certainly sounds like they have upped the service.

No doubt we will try Porto Cari on our next visit.

Last month we went to Bergant's restaurant in Porto Petro & had a couple of great meals. i understand it is owned by the same family that has Can Trompe in Cala Dor centre.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best Restaurants?

My wife and I dined in Poto Cari many times last year and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Belonging to the same owners of Fernanos, Bar Lovento, Sancora and a few others, it's easy to feel the connection.

Good value, varied menu and friendly staff are part of the deal here.

As for favourite restaurants in the Cala d'Or area here we go. For fish Proas in the marina, lovely Mallorcan owners and the best fresh fish. For Italian, I love Antichi Saporo in Portopetro, his pizzas and pasta are clearly the best although the service can be a bit hit and miss.

Sa Llotcha in Porto Colom is a great place for a special occasion, his fixed price menu of €37 for three courses including wine, coffee and water is great value as are the views over the harbour.

I could go on and on, there are so many great restaurants in all price catagories, just steer clear of most of touristy places in the centre of town.

Back out in mid March, can't wait.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Hi Sac I've tried Porto Cari twice the 1st time in company of 8 the food was good but the service was way to slow, the 2nd time just the 2 of us the service was ok but the food awfull, It has a lovely setting and a nice feel especially in the winter with the gas fires, I said I wouldn't go again but with the above comments will give it another go, going over Wednesday for a long weekend will try it and report back.

As for favorites I tend to favour locations Aquerious for a late lunch or Gadus for an early dinner I do like Noa but very expensive. What else is open?

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Hi Paul059,

Not a lot of places open at all last week,

Porto Cari and Botovara on Egos side but no lights on on the other side which was quite unusual but they were getting various places ready so should be more open next week when you go.

Also had a nice meal at Neptuno,s in Cala D,or but that is more cafe style but still good food at the right price.

The busiest place in town each night was Burger King,

Lots of the locals in there both day and night.

It would be good if you can update this post when you are there.

In Cala Egos the Beatrix restaurant has bought the old shoe shop next to the Polynesian bar, it is now being turned into a daytime snack bar and early evening restaurant.

There is an opening party with free food and drink on the 26th March from Enistio the owner, all people who have used any of his places are welcome.

It will open at 8am and will be trying to compete with Tony,s bar for the early English breakfast market.

All good for the area,

28SAC

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Not much change from when you wher over the only exception is Potofino has opened on the Cala Dor side of the marina, I noticed Botavara has had a bit of a refit new fires, chairs etc so looks like Puerto Cari is giving it some competition, didn't manage to get in this visit so can't comment, Smuglers opens end of next week, Andy from Cala Del Mar has taken over Tommys in Cala Dor so that should be good.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Just back after a week in Calamities Dorm. We ate in Porto Cari 4 nights and every meal was great . They really look after regulars very well in the winter months. The Beef Carpaccio was my favourite starter each time -divine! Very reasonable prices given location , ambience and quality of food. Went to La Caracola -good but doesn't have the style and ambience of Porto Cari and bill about the same. We went to Es Clos in S'Alqueria Blanca - new owner from Maritimo or Can Trompe? Beautiful setting and the food was good too- great fillet steaks and fish and tapas.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best Restaurants?

My phone being too clever again- Cala Dor not Calamities Dorm! And no, 28SAC I haven't been on the vino!

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Las Brasas the bowling alley, el Pescador and Taberna Murcia open in Egos . Pepes open but didn't see a single customer in as I suspect he hasn't any heating on .Still absolutely nothing open in Cala Dor but almost everything open in Porto Petro .

Durham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Best Restaurants?

I would highly recommend Vincentes. It isn't the most picturesque setting (opposite Commercial Palmer and next to a taxi rank) in the centre of town, but the food is fantastic and the service brilliant! Not had a better steak in CD yet. Looking forward to going back in March.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Best Restaurants?

Best steak in Cala Dor is fillet steak at Barlovento. Give it a try and I'll bet any money you won't be disappointed. Vicente generally good but sometimes can be a bit hit and miss . Set menu for 15 euros is very good value for money but for the past couple of years Barlovento is the one to beat . You should also try Mamma Mia across from Vicente - best Italian food and great value for money too. I am salivating thinking of the Ravioli in cream and black truffle sauce or the Spaghetti Cartoccio.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 17:36