We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

Could anyone help me and let me know if any banks are in cala egos or if not in cala d'or and if so were are they.

Thank you for your help

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

No real need for banks. There is a bank in Cala d'Or but opens only in the mornings. Use your card at any ATM that worked for me. Cala egos has one and a few in Cala d'Or. Paying at restaurants with my card also worked. Just make sure your card has maestro or master card on it. I just got back today after 8 days of bliss.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

The banks should be open to around 3.30pm,there are a couple of ATM's i believe in Cala Egos but i tend to use the santander one on the marina ( next door to Cafe Piscis )

28SAC will know if the ATM's are still in cala egos

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

Plenty of banks and ATM's in both Cala d'Or and Cala Egos, as mac they are only open until early afternoon.

If you have a debit card, you are better off taking out larger amounts and paying restaurant and shop bills etc. in cash. This will cut down on expensive transaction fees. The exchange rate of Visa and Mastercard is are normally very good for a debit card.

The money exchanges are only good if you want to exchange cash. Just watch for hidden charges.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

It's worth noting that when >paying< with your debit card (instead of taking cash from a machine), the merchant (restaurant, shop, whatever) pays the transaction fees, but not the exchange rate, so check with your bank about how badly they nick you on the exchange rate - some UK banks charge up to 98 pence per Euro, as we were unfortunate enough to discover recently.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 10:17
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

Another point worth mentioning when using ATM's is to always exchange in Euros not Pounds as the bank/merchant can fix their own higher rate if you choose pounds.

Nottingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

Plenty of places in Cala Egos to change sterling to euro. There is a place at the start of the main shopping/restaurant street that has a load of bicycles outside(to rent) opens till about 8pm and then there is another place at the other end which does car rental, pushchair rental and Internet access etc. We used both on our trip last week and last month. Exchange rate was the same at each and clearly displayed outside. Was 112.00 in June and last week 111.00 per £100.

7. Re: banks or money exchanges to change sterling into euro's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cala d'Or