We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

paisley scotland
5 posts
Save Topic
Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Hi fellow travelers.

Iam staying at one of the Hotels in the Sol Calas de Mallorca group in mid-September. The reviews so far have been pretty mixed.

Whilst i understand that no one Hotel, resort or even country will suit 'all of the people all of the time', i am just looking for a little reassurance that my 11 night all inclusive stay will not be the 'Holiday from Hell'!

I have paid what i consider to be a reasonable price for a 3 star Hotel and this being the case i am going with a open mind. The coach transfer time from Palma Airport also seems to vary quiet a bit from review to review, so an accurate impartial timing would be great. Also i am not intending to hire a car, so any tips on nearby places of interest to visit by public transport would be most welcome.

Thanks for your time

BigMac - 3/6/2010.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

This is a very fair post.The main attraction of this resort is the prices for AI holidays in Majorca.Most of the hotels are AI.Whether you get what you consider to be value for money will depend on what your standards are at home and what you expect of an hotel when you travel abroad

Overall Calas de Mallorca bests suits families with children who are happy with swimming pool life and some beach visits.Not so good for singles or couples because of the lack of variety around the resort.The resort is very isolated.There are some local buses so you can get out and about but they are few and far between and do not run in the evenings.You can get taxis but because of the distant location from the sort of places you might wish to visit eg Porto Cristo,Cala Millor,they work out expensive.

11 nights is about as long as one would want to stay.7 is ideal,14 would drive one (ie me) stir-crazy.

The length of the airport transfer depends on the number of drop-offs at other hotels before the coach arrives at yours.At the least it will take 1hr 15 minutes but it could be well over 2 hours.It is almost as far from Palma Airport as it is possible to be.

Hope you enjoy it and that this info helps.

paisley scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Hi WirralScouse.

First off thanks for your reply and taking the time to do it ,it's much appreciated.

Iam going alone abroad for the first time for a treat for my 50Th birthday. If the resort isn't to bad i will consider taking my 2 kids there next year, as they love the Pool and a not too busy a holiday. Regarding local transport and visits have you been to Cala Millor, or Porto Cristo and are they worth a go?. Not to fussed about the isolation as my mates say i'm a bit of a loner (or it it loser anyway haha!).

Cheers again

Willie.

/.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Hi Willie

I wouldn't get too hung up about reviews as they tend to vary hugely as you say. I get very frustrated with many of the reviews on TA these days as many don't seen to be very objective. I tend to discount any reviews from first time posters. Look for reviewers who have reviewed a few places and who appear to be just giving the facts.

I often feel the "out of 5" scoring system is too restrictive and doesn't allow enough room to differentiate between a good, average or fantastic hotel.

I reviewed a hotel last year and gave it a 4 out of 5 rating which I felt really guilty about as we had a great stay and had a brilliant level of service. The reason I didn't give it a 5 was that we had stayed elsewhere and found it to be better.

paisley scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Hi Hayzer

Cheers for taking time out to reply. We all have different views on resort and accomodation expectations, and your reply will make me travel with my gut instincts. Whats gonnae be will be!

If your 'oot and aboot' this summer enjoy!

Willie.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Hiya Willie.I know both Cala Millor and Porto Cristo the former more so.There is lots to see in Cala Millor and a vast sandy clean beach.Many bars and restos to choose from.It is a resort more popular with Germans than Brits although the integration is fine.You can walk right along the pedestrianised sea front from Cala Millor to Cala Bona which is more of a British resort.Must be 2-3 miles in all but there is a road train if you only want to walk one way.Both these Cala resorts are larger than Calas de Mallorca with more of an upmarket feel.

Porto Cristo is more of a working town by the sea and therefore not as touristy.The well-known Caves of Drach are there.

Like you I can and do enjoy myself on my own in Majorca.I haven't met a Scotsman yet that is uncomfortable walking into a bar alone and starting conversation with strangers.I am going to Majorca alone in October but will be meeting up with some TA buddies.

paisley scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

Thanks again

Will definately check out Cala Millor & Cala Bona, visited the Caves back in the 70's but will maybe also hit Porto Cristo.

Enjoy your holiday

Willie.

7. Re: Some great reviews, some average reviews, some poor reviews!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2010, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Calas de Majorca
Recent Conversations