We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

We will be staying in Calas but want to take the kids to the Pirates show, is there any coach tours from here or are we best to hire a car?

Thanks

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Sorry I cannot fully answer your question, but they run trips from most places, so you'll probably be OK.

You couldn't have picked a much worse place for getting about as Calas is very isolated and car hire is the only practical solution to visiting other places,

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Try these they have really good reviews on TA i'm going to book with them when they start taking bookings for this summer. They are closed for winter at moment. They pick up from all over the island.

http://www.nofrills-excursions.com/

this is the reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g580312-…

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Whitehorsepeter is right:

Calas is very isolated, although you can catch the bus to Manacor and take the train to Palma, then catch a bus from Palma to Magaluf, although the entire trip will be more than 3 hours each way.

Hire a car. You'll be in Magaluf in less than one hour.

Mentioned in this post
Manacor
Manacor
82 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Magaluf
Magaluf
Majorca, Spain
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

I don't know that no frills pick up in Calas de Majorca, it isn't on their list of pick ups.

I must echo the points made that you have chosen a really difficult resort to travel from (and to!). If you booked a package through a tour operator the reps might sell trips to Pirates at inflated prices, but IMO the best option is to hire a car, then you can get out and about on the island and see Majorca properly.

Mentioned in this post
Calas de Majorca
Calas de Majorca
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Thanks everyone, we've hired a car for the week we are away so getting out and about will be ok for us for the week, we chose the calas because we can just get away from it all or travel out if we get a bit bored, reason for asking if they do collections from here is so my hubby and I can both have a drink while we are out!! I've tried no frils tours before so might give them a try when they open, thanks

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

One of the points about Calas de Mallorca that peeves me a bit is that if you book an isolated place like this, one would normally expect it to be quaint or charming in some way.

But IMO Calas de Mallorca is neither. It is a small, isolated resort, dominated by AI places, a very small (and hence crowded) beach, and not much else. Since it's AI-dominated, there is a very limited selection of bars and restaurants, and those that remain aren't particularly service-oriented or offer anything extraordinary, mainly sandwiches and beer. There is a Burger King, however (open June-Sept), which I'm sure does a brisk business since there isn't much else around.

Calas isn't particularly pretty nor offers anything unique, despite it's isolated location. The small beach at Cala Domingos is rather nice, but only in the off-season when nobody is around. IMO Calas is nothing more than an AI "product", far from the mainstream, offering little of interest, other than a group of somewhat older hi-rise cookie-cutter hotels overlooking a not-terribly-interesting seascape. In the off-season, it's almost a ghost town.

What I find least attractive is that there's nowhere to explore - and in the likely event that you feel the need to get away, you'd better hire a car (locally, at inflated prices), because the bus service is infrequent and a bus trip to anywhere is long and tiring.

Ironically, what you'll pay in Calas is about the same as you'll pay anywhere else on the island, but without the flexibility or interesting options you'll find elsewhere. AI or not.

For me, I'd choose almost anywhere over Calas, but for some, Calas may tick all the boxes - perhaps the compelling selling point is the "All-Inclusive family holiday in Majorca, all with just one click, and one charge to your credit card". Easy peasy.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Domingos
Cala Domingos
375 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

Bit OTT mallorcat While I agree with you (and then some), the OP only asked about getting to Pirates

8. Re: Staying in Calas - trip to Magaluf??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Calas de Majorca
Recent Conversations