We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

North West
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

Has anyone who's stayed in hotel America in Calas de Mallorca seen many cockroaches? I just read a review that says the place was riddled with them. I know I sound like a whinge but this would seriously ruin my holiday, I'd end up flying home early if it was. Only one review I read said that it was, but it's worried me now... we're travelling the beginning of September this year.

Gracias in advance!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

tripadvisor.co.uk/…16184267

Have a read of this thread about cockroaches. It explains that you get cockroaches in all hot countries and they are not linked to dirty places.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

And not only in hot countries, I'd never seen as many cockroaches as in NYC!

Been a few times in Mallorca and seen the odd disgusting bug, same as anywhere in Southern Europe to be honest. If a particular hotel gets consistent reports of being "infested" of course I would avoid it, but finding the odd one is just a fact of life even in the cleanest and better maintained places.

notts
Level Contributor
232 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

Ive been twice to this hotel and didnt see any cockroaches here but saw some in the grass that leads up to the shops.

North West
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

Thanks guys. I do realise they're everywhere, but I've been to the balearics many times and been lucky enough to never run into any inside the hotel...this review made is sound like they were crawling all over the place! I can cope with them hiding away but not scuttling all over my bedroom, lol. :)

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

Quite often cockroach problems are down to the town hall, not the hotels' fault... A hotel I worked in Ibiza had problems with them, but it was due to the sewage drains on the road outside the hotel... Therefore, not the hotels' problem. All we could do was complain to the town hall and put our own poison down for them.

Cockroaches do not mean that a place is dirty, and some times of the year seem to make more of them come out than others... And I think that it also depends on wheather factors (like rain). A bit like with mosquitos.

If you are seriously badly afraid of them, they sell plug ins in the DIY stores that give out a low buzz (humans can't hear it), that make insects / creatures go away. I've got one for mice (I had mice in my office at work at one point!) and one for mosquitos. They're not expensive for what they do, they cost approx 20 Euros.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

What other bugs are there here besides cockraoches?

Borehamwood
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

hi sorry this is bit late, but been looking at reviews for another holiday this year.I was a bit shocked to see this thread. We stayed in hotel america in aug 2010 and I saw a cockroach in the dining area at breakfast. I was shocked as not seen in any other hotels stayed at abroad. i thought I would take a picture with my mobile as wasnt sure whether to make complaint to holiday rep. The waiter saw me do this and pulled a face. He then trod on it to kill it. I was a bit intimidated by this action and returned to my table to discuss with my family. The cockroach was then left on the floor by the entrance to the kitchen door for the rest of the breakfast openning session. This experience put me off the whole holiday as we were all inclusive for the week.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 23:48
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

These are completely common in all southern countries. It doesn't matter how clean you are, they will come.

Ever been to Cicily? Malta?

We combat them a few times per year, mostly in the spring. Never a huge problem but never completely eradicated.

Not pretty, but it's pretty normal.

Welcome to the south. At least we don't have huge venemous scorpions and snakes...

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

After a year it's probably still dead, don't worry

10. Re: Hotel America: Cockroaches?! Eek!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:40
Get answers to your questions about Calas de Majorca
Recent Conversations