We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

I will be staying at the Marina Luz next weekend for two nights and I understand that there is an English run tobacco shop near the Hotel Alexander. My question is does anyone know if this will be open at the weekend seeing as it is Winter season? If not, is there another tobacco shop that will be open?

Thank you.

Sedna Sail & Dive
Boat Hire, Scuba & Snorkeling, Submarine Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports
PX boats
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Parasailing & Paragliding, Speed Boats Tours, Boat Hire
Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

I may be wrong but it is very unlikely that anyone English has an official tabac licence, and other shops are no longer allowed to sell cigarettes.

There is a tabac shop on the main road through the town close to the church.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 20:21
Southhampton
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

There is an English-run Tabac shop in Can Pastilla (technically, Cala Estancia) just across the street from the Mar de Nun, across from the beach.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=can+pastilla&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Can+Pastilla,+Palma,+Balearic+Isles,+Balearic+Islands,+Spain&ll=39.53504,2.71231&spn=0,0.00099&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=39.535033,2.712199&panoid=JbVHzhzUUv3De5T8wANuFw&cbp=12,64.38,,1,10.36

Another English run shop in Can Pastilla is on the other end of the strip, past the KFC.

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

Thanks very much for the Google map link. One further question, do you know if the Tabacos takes credit and debit cards at all?

Thank you.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

Most will accept major debit/credit cards for purchases over €10.

By the way, what would make you believe that English can´t run a licenced Tabac (or any other shop, for that matter) in Majorca?

There are many shops of all kinds run by English nationals here.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 11:58
birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

I think i used a tabaconist once which was just up the road from Burger king and there was a English lady in there. If not there are a good few along the beach front towards Playa and Arenal. I wouldn't risk sunday though. I think cards also occur a charge of about 1 or 2 %.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

Mallorcat - Tabac licences werre issued to widows of the Civil War and have been passed down through families. Of course a person of any nationality can work in the tabac shops.

If anyone is saying that one has somehow passed into English hands then of course I believe it. Any other type of shop no problem.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 23:18
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

If you use cards for a PURCHASE (rather than withdrawl from a cash machine), the vendor pays the the fees, this is why they always prefer cash. Some retaurants will even tell you their "card machine isn´t working" to get you to pay cash, but if you insist, they´ll take the card.

Your bank may tack on something for the currency exchange, but that depends on your bank. In any case, using a card for purchases is always less expensive than cash exchangers.

Southhampton
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

WhiteHorsePeter, my sister owns 3 tabac shops in Malaga and she is a British citizen with no family ties in Spain. Is the family restriction only a law on majorca, because I know the woman who runs the british tabac in can pastilla and she's also british, not spanish or majorcan, and not just an employee.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobacco Shops in C'an Pastilla

OK, I stand corrected

Keighley, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts