We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

Which Colonia de Sant Jordi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

We can't seem to find or get much info on Colonia de Sant Jordi so we are starting to look into other places. We are wondering if perhaps it doesn't get many visitors or is too small to attract people to visit. Or is lack of info because people want to keep it a secret? It just may be a lovely place to visit and people don't want to spread the word. Any comments?

How does Colonia de Sant Jordi compare to Cala d' Or? Or Cala Bona? We are not looking for a party scene but rather a relaxing place in a lovely village or town with beautiful sea views, a nice hotel (we have a reservation but can cancel), restaurants, maybe a museum or other interesting places, etc. We are not big into shopping but do like to walk around the streets of a town or village just to look around and get to know the place and the people.

Thanks for any information and suggestions.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

I have replied to your interjection in the other post "which resort in majorca?".

USA
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

Just saw it. Thank you very much for the advice.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

Your post screams out Soller to me.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

We are English and visited Colonia Sant Jordi last August/September with our young family, who were two, four and six years old at the time. We had a fabulous time and are going back again this year. We are renting a three bedroom air-conditioned apartment for about 1000 euros for a fortnight and did the same last year.

There is a lot more information on the web in German than in English . Also, try doing a search for Colonia Sant Jordi on youtube - there are quite a few decent videos. In my experience, the Germans, Italians and Scandinavians do indeed know the best places, so it is worth sometimes feeling a bit like a character in the Great Escape - it is much better than being surrounded by English lager louts.

I did find that in some places they could only speak German (such as the bakers) but I can speak it, so it was fine (except that it totally freaked out my eldest daughter). You'll also find a lot more accommodation if you search in Spanish and German. Most of the Germans tend to stay in some ugly monster hotels near the salt flats out of town on the way to Es Trenc. I think the atmosphere was much nicer in the town itself.

There is a small but decent supermarket which also does great rotisserie chickens to order, a couple of decent bakers, a nice ice cream shop which our children loved, lots of bars and restaurants and a road train that goes through the town out to the big German hotels. To be frank, for the five of us and the weakness of the pound, we found the restaurants a bit too expensive for what they offered and so cooked ourselves most evenings - the fresh fruit and vegetables are delicious.

The beach near the port is ideal for children, with lifeguards, a gentle slope and busy with families but not overly so. The beaches further away are really nice too, but with children so small the port beach was perfect for us. If you want culture and shopping too I'd split your holiday and spend a few days in Palma.

5. Re: Help needed: Colonia de Sant Jordi or elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Colonia de Sant Jordi