We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another False Dawn??

Which Magaluf hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Another False Dawn??

MASSIVE MAGALLUF CRACKDOWN

The President of the Balearics, Jose Ramon Bauza, visiting the Balearic stand yesterday. By Humphrey Carter

The Spanish and British authorities and tourist industries agreed yesterday at the World Travel Market in London that it is time to clean up Magalluf once and for all.

Palma.—With last week’s multiple stabbing in the resort making headline news in the British press yesterday, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Spanish and Balearic governments, Calvia Council, the Hotel Federation, tour firms and local businesses all agreed that they have had enough of Magalluf and that over the Winter a major crackdown on safety and security is going to be planned with all interested parties involved.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another False Dawn??

YAWN.

Heard it all before havent we?

Having been to numerous WTM events i take anything said there with a pinch of salt, especially if its being said over a free lunch with expensive wine.

Sorry to be so cynical but i expect Summer 2014 to be little different to the one just passed.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another False Dawn??

Me too. After all, what became of the hit squad of Madrid police that were supposedly brought in to sort out the street crime in Magaluf early this summer? I sense that all this is posturing ie being seen to be concerned and not making the financial and manpower commitment to sort it.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another False Dawn??

Celtic1963.....

There isn't one person that wouldn't want to see that happen except the culprits.....

But I agree with what both KJ and WS say.......for me I would say to the British and Spanish authorities. ...."actions speak louder than words" ....

Simple as that....

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another False Dawn??

Yep, I agree with *YAWN*. :-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another False Dawn??

As a bit of an 'outsider' on this forum, I can say that exactly the same thing happens in Malia, Crete. Every year the mayor and dignitaries say, enough is enough, we must get this sorted out once and for all, then of course it never happens.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another False Dawn??

Thanks for your input steve.It's useful to get input from a regular at other resorts with the same sort of image/problems. I know from our grandson who has been there for a spacedout 2 weeks in summers 2011 and 2012 that Malia although in a different country attracts the same sort of young crowd mid-season as 'luf with of course the same consequences.But the problem there is just drunkenness and the violent consequences. The problems in 'luf include the street robbers. It would be far easier to get rid of the street robbers with no effect on the prosperity of the resort than the impossible task of reducing the drunkenness of the young tourists which in July and August is rife in Malia and 'luf.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another False Dawn??

Yes, I saw the TV programme about Magaluf, and while they always sensationalise things, I was particularly concerned by the 'prostitutes' who fleeced drunk men, and the violence. However, I'm afraid to report that there has been an increase in violent robberies in Malia this year - they are obviously seen as easy targets. One example here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g616162-i10982-k…

We spent a couple of evenings in Malia this summer (at the request of our 15 yr old), to be honest it didn't seem as busy as Manchester at the weekend - but maybe that's because we got the midnight bus back to our resort!!

8. Re: Another False Dawn??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 12:05
Huntly, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another False Dawn??

Mmmmmmmmm........................ not sure if you're allowed to say that!

However, you are absolutely correct.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another False Dawn??

As for most things in Spain it's always manyana, manyana, but lets give the Spanish some credit, they did after all invent the word.

Agree with MG, actions speak louder than words.

Get answers to your questions about Magaluf