We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Hi there,we are thinking of booking a week at this hotel from 21st August this year and would appreciate it if anyone who has stayed here can answer some of our queries before we book.

We are a group of 2 adults,2 x 17 year old girls and an 18 month old baby.

Will the hotel suit us all?

Is the food of a good standard and is the resteurant clean?

Is there english speaking channels on he TV in the rooms?

Is the all inclusive facilities good,eg is there self serve drink machines or do you have to go to the bar all the time?

Can you request a cot?

Sorry for all the questions but it is the first time we have all gone away as a family and we want to choose the right place.

Thanks,Susan

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Suekay,

having been for the last 3 years, and going back this year, you'd be surprised how many people return to the hotel year after year

check out the reviews, a number of your questions are answered in them

the hotel has got a great name for all kinds (couples, families (with young & older kids)

personally I think the food is very good with plenty of choice, they have plenty to choose from

there's a few English speaking channels, sky news, ITV2 possibly 1 or 2 others

the A/I to me is fine, over the years they have had different methods for getting your drinks, first year, you where issued with a credit card with your family picture on, then you just show this at the bar for your drinks (much easier in my opinion) for the last 2 years you show your hotel information room card (this is a pain to me) however last year a number of people had the credit card option (I know which one I prefer)

also the card with the picture or your hotel room card shows/states how many people in your group, this is all you are allowed to get drinks for, e.g. in our case 3 (2 adults 1 child)

depending on what Hotel your in, in the Mirlos the waiters serve/bring your drinks to your table (you can also get them your self) in the restaurant

in the Tordos (generally A/I in here|) you help your self to drinks in the restaurant.

you can get drinks from 10.00am till midnight

you can get food/snacks from Breakfast till 11'00pm, outside of main meals you go to the Tordos for snacks etc

Cots, you certainly can request one

remember to read the reviews

anything else, just ask

Edited: 16 May 2010, 00:05
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

just clocked one point I never covered, is the restaurant clean

well put it this way, they hotel is spotless, they have cleaners working for the crack of dawn till late in the evening, a number of people comment on this on the reviews (how clean the place is)

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

The hotel consistently rates at number 1 on TA due to the ticking of boxes to most people. There's seemingly something for everyone, if you're the sort to go along with the type of things that most people like.

Others don't like it. They probably don't like *anywhere*.

The only downfall I can see to a week there starting 21 August is that the place (like everywhere all over the Med) will be running at capacity, therefore there will be the odd queue for drinks and meals.

One of the reasons that we return there year after year is because the food is so good. You'll never go hungry due to quality or choice of food. What might not be your cuppa, - it certainly isn't mine -, is sitting for a meal with kids running around like it's a playground and not a civilised eating enviroment. This is a parental problem rather than a child problem, it happens everywhere, but seemingly the higher priced hotels have less, sorry for this term lol - riff raff! :) as guests, so the problem here is less than elsewhere IMO.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Must compliment you on your discreet comments mark.Oh how I agree with you.We have been near Bristol today to take our son and his wife out for lunch.A lovely place,gourmet pub,not cheap,top rate food which they booked on our behalf.10 minutes after we sat down a family of 5 including 2 very noisey sons moved in and ran riot noisily at the next table.One couple at an adjacent table asked to be moved.Maybe we were mugs to stay put.But as Mrs WS says you can't blame the children.But how can the parents afford to take the family out for Sunday lunch which would have cost them £100 at least and not show consideration for fellow diners?.They weren't yobs by any means as the kids were well spoken albeit noisily but "I am very bored here" at loud decibels is not what you want to hear.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

I would say this is more associated with the Tordos, than the Mirlos

from the time of year we go (mid Jul -end of Jul)

having stayed in the Mirlos last year (no problems during meals) having stayed in theTordos the previous 2 years, I'd say it was a minor problem

put it down to kids mixing with new friends etc

Edited: 16 May 2010, 23:35
Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Hi bigscouse,thanks so much for your feedback about the sol mirlos/tordos hotel. much appreciated and has certainly made our minds up about booking our holiday here. Susan

Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Thanks for your feedback Mark,Susan

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Pleased to help Susan.

Thanks for the nod wirral.

I'm sure most people know what I mean without me coming across as a snob. A few manners here and there don't hurt.

At times, when abroad, i'm almost ashamed of my nationality when cast in the same boat as others with, - err - slightly different standards of acceptable behaviour.

Boisterous clean family holiday fun and games are not the issue here.

Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

Hi again,what is the food selection like for the all inclusive guests? Is there a good variety and will the teens like whats on offer?

What is the best floor to request?especially as we are taking a baby.Don't want too high and we'll probably be back in the room early as he tends to bed down about 7-8.

Thanks again,Susan

scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sol mirlos/tordos hotel

hiya,

going back to the sol tordos for the third year in a row this year, we just love it!

especially the all inclusive food!!

there is always a great choice, which differ from day to day. always had chips, and either mash or roasted potatoes etc, chicken, fish, pork, and sometimes steak which were all luvly! also had pizza and pasta every night with different toppings and sauces, different soup every night with different bread you can help yourself to. the kids choices were the usual things like, chicken nuggets fish fingers etc. also had a good selection of cakes and ice cream, and also custard which was kept warm.

breakfast is also good, your typical fry up which is hard to resist! but also a good selection of cerial and yogharts, toast, jam etc, also glazed dohnuts which were amazing!!

not sure what floor would be best, fist year we were on the 9th which was great at first because we had a beautiful view of the sea, but when the lifts got busy we had no choice but to wait, as it was jus to far to walk up and down the steps! last year we were the first floor, which, because of the way the room was facing, had no view except of the roof but that suited us as we didny need to wait for the lift, only at the beginning of the holiday to take our bags to the room and at the end to take them back down! but like i said, not much of a view!! hope this helps! you will have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Palmanova