We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

NORTHERN IRELAND
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

Hi all,

Staying in Sol Tordos and have read about the upgrade to Gold

what does it get you?? that you dont get on all inclusive?

Also can you get all other drinks. ie Smirnoff Vodka. WKD, bacardi and all cocktails.

Does everyone in your party have to upgrade?

We have 3 small children 2 @ age 3 + 1 age 4, would we have to pay for them as they in our party.?

cheers for any replies

Golf Fantasia
Game & Entertainment Centres
Mallorca Stand Up
Sightseeing Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
The Prince William Pub
Bars & Clubs, Karaoke Bars
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

its costs 8 Euro's a day per adult & 4 euro's per child

all your party must upgrade, however taking into account the age of your children I'd have a word with either the Reception or Annabelle/Anna @ Guest relations

what you get for A/I is all soft drinks (suppose this is for the kids) and all local branded spirits (although you get very healthy large measures) and the hotel branded lager, which is Amstell and a basic ice cream/ice lolly for the kids etc (no crisps)

what the Gold upgrade gets you is practically every drink on the bar menu, including all the drinks you mention above, it also includes bottled lager, Strongbow cider (on draught) also included is crisps and any ice cream you require, it can be handy in the evening getting flavoured crisps with every round

your kids sound to young for this, but when we there there for the last 2 years, the kid with the gold wristband in the teenager club was never short of friends due to the little gold band and the open invitation to the branded ice creams (hope you understand what I mean here)

however when your on A/I if you buy a drink not covered by the A/I you just pay half the standard bar price, eg, if a pint of Strongbow was 4 euros, you would only pay 2 euros

NORTHERN IRELAND
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

Thanks a lot for your reply. Sounds great think its worth the upgrade.

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

Big scouse.......Can you tell me what the kids meals are like, as my sisters son (13yo) is a burger, chips, plain chicken, spag bol, sort of kid.

Also, what are the meals like in general?

My sister went on her first AI in Cyprus (protaris Anastasia apartments) and loved it but as i said her son was really just a snack bar eater and didn't really do the evening meal.

She also said that when she booked it through Thomas cook for this year, it gave food ratings in the brochure, so i'm wondering if this is just a brochure thing as the website don't say for Mirlos/Tordos.

Another big factor is the cider, my brother in law is a big cider drinker but went on the spirits as there wasn't any in the hotel (he did buy some locally but still expensive). Is that correct that you can upgrade to this at M/T or buy it at half price.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

giz1972,

I know exactly where your coming from, having a 14 year old daughter, who is so, so fussy, can't (or won't eat) certain foods if it comes into contact with other foods or sauces on the plate, and she eats very, very well when on holiday at the mirlos/tordos

going on what you mention above for food etc, the 13yo will be in heaven, as they have exactly what you mention plus lots, lots more, also a firm favourite with the kids is the desserts (chocolate fudge cake or apple pie) plus lots, lots more to choose from

my daughter who doesn't usually eat burgers/ hot dog's etc, would eat them all the time, as it was the thing to do with the other teenagers,

some people complain the food is repetitive, others like me sing the praises for the food, as there's so much choice, yes certain dishes can be repeated, however I had no problems eating large fresh salmon fillets in July this year, not sure what some people expect, 14 days x 3 meals with a totally different choice/option every time, get real

about 5/6 years ago we were wrongly booked into the Tordos on A/I, after a couple of days we got sussed, however the first couple of days on A/I was enough to educate us on the values of being on A/I rather than H/B, since then we've been on A/I every time

personally think the food is very, very good with so much choice, also they cook a fish dish and a meat dish freshly in front of you on the hot grill during lunch and tea

yes you can upgrade from both H/B to A/I or from A/I to "gold" A/I

it costs 8 euros for adults and 4 euros for kids to upgrade to gold A/I, all members in your party must upgrade, what you get is basically almost anything you want, eg. branded spirits, branded bottled lager, draught strongbow cider, crisps and any ice cream

your sisters 13yo son will have no shortage of friends with his gold upgrade band, he'd be able to get as many ice creams/crisps etc as he wants, rather them get the hotel basic choice option for A/I guests

anything else, just ask

BS

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

Sounds fantastic Bigscouse, I’m looking to book next year August through travel republic as they offer family of 4 rooms at the moment but all the flights are not up yet at the price I’d like to pay.

I understand what you mean on AI; personally I champion it purely because it suits my family’s needs. Food is vast and yes it may seem repetitive to some people but I’ve said this before on here, because there is so much on offer, it triggers some peoples brain to think there is nothing they like or some guests think that it’s not authentic enough. I on the other hand, in heaven and because there is such a variety, I don’t eat certain foods just for change from my norm.

I know a few Tripadvisors don’t like-em due to AI hotels taking trade away from nearby business; I say for them businesses to up their game and offer, better food n drink prices and entertainment.

A few more Q’s

Do they have a snack bar outside or do you have to go to the restaurant for snacks like burgers, hot dogs, sandwich, toasties etc and can you eat in any of the hotels or the one your rooms in.

Drink sizes, is it the 1/3 of a pint plastic cup and 2 per person rule which includes an ice cream within the rule like ones I’ve been to before.

Teas and coffee’s during the day, are they available at all the pool bars (wife’s request as she sometimes fancies a cuppa instead of a cold drink).

Thanks again for all the info

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

giz1972

the snacks are served in the Tordos restaurant, you can't get them anywhere else (no o/s snack bars), and your not supposed to take them outside (but some people do sneak them out especially later in the evening,

as for what hotels you eat in, now this is a bit tricky, as apart from this year, you have had to eat in the restaurant of the hotel your staying in, they where very strict on this and checked you in every meal, however this year was very relaxed, can't remember being checked/asked once, and my daughter and friends from the teenager club would often swap & change hotels to eat in (Kids will be kids)

Drinks, I assume you mean spirits, yes its the 1/3 measure in the tall glass, how many drinks, usually its 3 (possibly even 4) per person, a lot depends on the bar staff & what you order, although you can get round this by getting 2 wristbands, that way you can get more drinks.

yes tea & coffee is widely available in all the bars and the restaurants (for breakfast only), where the same, we often prefer a coffee either in the morning or after lunch, just because your on A/I, its not about throwing back the lager, despite what some people either say or witness with others

A/I drinks at the bar start at 10:00am till midnight

the restaurants open about 8.00am, you can get food/snacks etc till 11:00pm

understand what you say about TR and the family rooms, but believe when I say they often have sales just after Christmas, Sol Melia also often have deals around this time (this is when I usually book my hotel deal, although I book my flights asap when the come out in Sept/Oct etc

NORTHERN IRELAND
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

Traveling with small children I need a fridge and kettle in the room. Are these in room or do I hire them. If so do you know how much.

Cheers

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

No fridges or kettles in room, most people are on A/I so there's no need for a kettle, hot drinks (tea/coffee) are available from 8:00am till 12:00pm

you can hire almost anything from reception they have a A4 sheet listing everything you can hire and the prices, unfortunately I don't know the prices for the items you ask

several people have posted about hiring fridges, Irons etc, once ordered from reception there usually back at the hotel within a couple of hours

thought you might want to know there's a microwave in the both hotel restaurants, the Tordos is open from about 8:00am till 11:pm, the bars in both hotels also have microwave ovens, for heating babies bottles etc these are open from 10:00am till 1:00am, should you need bottles heating up

NORTHERN IRELAND
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

cheers for reply. yes its for babies bottles & storing of the milk. Will check it out when I get there.

Many thanks again

Dawn

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrade to gold in the Sol Torods

our friends were in room 612 which had a fridge.

one thing to note the family rooms are at the back of the hotel and the room we saw had 4 full size beds but because of this there was no balcony or patio doors

and was opposite room 625 in the mirlos

Get answers to your questions about Palmanova