We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Which Palmanova hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TAG30
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Hi everyone - ive finanlly deided to visit palma nova for my husbands 40th. We dont want the whole magaluf experience but will probably spend our days round the pool/beach then dinner and drinks and maybe a dance till about 3 (if we last that long). Its the first time away alone withuout the kids so we intend to make the most of it. I have made two reservations. Ponent mar which is apparently a 4 star and is on a self catering basis or for an extra £100 we can go to the Sol mirlos A/I. Im not a fan of all inclusive generally as i like to eat what and when i want but for £100 if its just used on breakfast and drinks to get ready to go out, surely its a no brainer??

Any thoughts on which one is more suitable?

midlands
Level Contributor
366 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

The Sol Milos Tordos is a family hotel with loads of kids and quite rowdy, this does depend on what time of year you go. I personally love this hotel, but only for the family reasons and I expect that is what you are trying to get away from.

Regards Andy

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
209 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Been to the Ponent Mar twice last year & revisiting in June this year. Would definitely recommend, Stunning views of the sea from the pool & terraces. Down some steps & you can swim off the rocks but only 1 minute walk to the first of three fantastic beaches. Well away from the hustle & bustle of Maga yet only a 5Euro taxi ride if you want to give it a try (we did!). Hotel mainly for couples & grown-up families. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

We have stayed at the ponent mar 5 times as a family (couple, 40's plus young child) and found it perfect on every occasion. It's near enough to the night life so that you don't feel isolated, but far enough away from it that you don't have interrupted sleep from people returning at all hours. It doesn't attract many Brits - more popular with the Scandinavian market, who are very civilised and friendly (not that Brits aren't!). I'd recommend it highly and would be happy to answer any more specific questions you may have.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 21:52
TAG30
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Thanks everyone. I've got to say, going AI just didn't sit well with me at all, even if it is only a few pounds more. Will stick with ponent mar then. Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

We have stayed at the ponent mar 5 times as a family (couple, 40's plus young child) and found it perfect on every occasion. It's near enough to the night life so that you don't feel isolated, but far enough away from it that you don't have interrupted sleep from people returning at all hours. It doesn't attract many Brits - more popular with the Scandinavian market, who are very civilised and friendly. I'd recommend it highly and would be happy to answer any more specific questions you may have.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Posted the same thing twice - peril of the 2nd glass of wine, I suppose!

I share your reservations about AI. I wouldn't like to be dictated to regarding where, when and what I eat. I also think that local businesses have suffered from the rise and rise of AI in certain areas.

I do realise that it's perfect for many families, and that AI tourism is better than no tourusm at all. Eating out in Majorca is inexpensive relative to the UK, so for a couple I'd recommend the self catering option.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

Although I'm a fan of the Mirlos Tordos - and haven't stayed in Ponent mar either - I'll also sway you away from the Mirlos Tordos. I don't think it's particularly suitable from your tick box, - although I don't know what time of year you are going. In early September for instance I would say that it would be fine. 4 weeks before with it being awash with families then it wouldn't be.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Son Matias more.

TAG30
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

i would love to stay at the Son Matias but it was twice the cost of ponent mar. I got travel republic to price match at £77 a night for the last week of august. Son Matias is coming up at £180 per night.

I dont expect to spend any time at the hotel other than to sleep and get changed so it would have been wasted on me this time. Now to find something special to do on his birthday......

9. Re: Sol mirlos todos v ponent mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations