We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard water?

Cornwall
Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hard water?

Hi everyone

Weird question but we live in cornwall where the water is soft and depending on where we go on holiday my hair turns in to a unmanageable dry Afro or extremely greasy. Found some shampoos for different water types and I'm thinking majorca is hard water? I may sound vain but I like nice hair! Thanks

Portals Nous, Spain
Level Contributor
294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard water?

Hi, yes unfortunately the water is hard and not ideal for my hair either, however I just visit my hairdresser a couple of times a week and it is always much better than doing it myself.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard water?

very hard water, you will probably think your shower gel isn't working too! I live in Cornwall too, and you can really see the difference in the water. Just use lots of conditioner, and maybe one of those you spray on your hair during the day to protect it from the sun.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard water?

Mrs H buys her shampoo in Mallorca and reckons that they work better than ones she takes with her. Personally I never have a problem :-0

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard water?

Your lovely part of the world is blessed with soft water - easy to forget and the shower turns into a foam party for one. I have curly hair too with a tendency to Afro but mostly quite shiny- hey hair is important, just ask Delilah. I agree with Mrs H - locally made products with aloe vera seem to work better there for me. You can buy a big bottle of the locally produced shamooo for 3 or 4 euros and it's lovely. So is the shower gel. Annabelle is right - apply a hair masque or even olive oil during the day (covered with a bandana or scarf for vanity) in the sea or on the beach and then wash it out later. I find the less conditioner the better in the evening or it looks greasy and that's where a lighter leave in conditioner comes in. Hey this makes a change - beauty tips on TA.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard water?

Thanks everyone, think I will get some local shampoo and conditioner then and try that. I often use olive oil on my hair over night anyway so will do that also. Thanks for the beauty tips, wasn't really sure where else to ask haha

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard water?

In the same vein, but slightly off topic, I don't know if the water in Valldemossa is softer than the water in Santa Ponsa, but I used Lush "you've been mangoed" in the Jacuzzi in Santa Ponsa, no problem, I used it in Valldemossa, had to turn the jets off as it was bubbling over like crazy! And it's not even supposed to be a bubbly one!

7. Re: Hard water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations