We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

north east
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

As some of you may know we went to hawaii aparthotel last year and had an amazing time and so rebooked this year, this time going with 2 other family friends and their families. We all booked in to the apartments and wished to spend the days by pool and evenings at the bar all inclusive.

When I booked,I booked again with onthebeach.com I booked the same type of room as last time which accomadated our family. The day after booking a onthebeach.com rep rang me and said that all the rooms of that size were booked and I'd have to pay another £150 to stay in a bigger room to house me,hubby and 2 kids,I agreed and thatw as that.

Its now 8 weeks to hols so i rang the apartments direct and spoke to vicky the customer service rep to see if we could possibly stay in one of the seaview rooms, she informed me we were not booked in! I had actually rang last month and been told same thing but when I spoke to onthebeach they assured me I was booked in and to just relax.

After the apartments told me for the second time we werent showing on system yet our friends bookings were, I asked for them to check if we were booked in to the hotel hawaii next door...we were! The agent had booked us in to the hotel instead of apartments and at an extra cost! The apartments assured me that there was rooms available in the apartments to house a fmaily of pur size so it appears the agent has tried to upsell a room, then unbeknown to them that the apartments and hotel are 2 completely different complexs with different pools,bars and restaurants they have booked us in to the wrong hotel!

Now I am unable to use my all inclusive package within the apartments only in the hotel leaving us seperated from friends!

I know the hawaii hotel is 4 star and apartments are 3 but we BOOKED the apartments infact my booking receipt says the aparthotel and yet we are booked in to the hotel. I know the hotel is deemed higher star but for me I dont like it, I dont like the pools they are too small and the staff were a bit less polite when we visited plus the major factor that we have booked hols with friends and now cannot be together!

I have spoke to a on the beach rep who are basically kids running a call centre and charging you 10p a min to speak to them and leave you on hold for 20 mins! They said on Friday that they cant do anything until they have corresponded with hotel but last time I left this issue with them it wasnt sorted.Feel like Im bouncing my head off a brick wall!

Would anyone else think this was a major balls up on the agents part? Its causing me considerable stress, we have looked forward t this holiday all year and now we dont even know whats happening! x

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

It's your choice of booking agent that is at fault.OTB do not have a good reputation.And they charge a small fortune for changes to original booking.I don't think you have a claim against OTB because you have been re-accommodated.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

They must have some srt of case against on the beach, they booked a different hotel to the one they are being put in!

I'm sure by law you'd be entitled to a refund but the way OTB works this would probably be on accommodation only!

Just tell them you want a refund on the hotel and that you're going to book the other hotel yourselves as you know they have family rooms! You'll probably find OTB can suddenly honour your original booking!

For legal reasons I'd make sure you write to them with your request and send it recorded deivery! Also tell them you will want reimbursing for your phone calls!

You've paid for a specific holiday and you are not getting it! OTB are in the wrong here and it shouldn't be costing you anything for them to put things right!

north east
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

We were not told that we would be reaccomadated in a different hotel though, we were under impression that it was same hotel, no word was mentioned that it was a different hotel and on my booking form it still says hotelapart hawaii wirralscouse. Obviously we know the hotel and apartments are 2 different complexs because we know palma nova and them specific hotels/aparts but to OTB they will just be thinking that its the same place, as they work with I should imagine hundreds of destinations all across the world.Its their balls up but at the moment even speaking to someone direct who is remotley interested or bothered is a chore.

We went with OTB last year and had no problems which is why we decided to arrange the package through them again, ok it costs a little more but it takes the hassle out of everything all being booked through one agent.

Worst case scenario, what do you think the odds are that if it cant be changed or we have to pay an excess to change (despite it being their balls up and despite us already having to pay extra for them to change the booking) that we stay in the hawaii hotel but explain to the manager (they are both intertur companys) and see if we can stay at hotel but dine and drink on the AI at the apartments which was what we wanted! At end of day the AI is classed as 3 star at aprtments and 4 star at hotel so wouldnt be like we were using a better service. All I am really bothered about is being able to use their pool and all inclusive, the rooms I am not bothered! x

London, England
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

It does seem that OTB have made a mistake and booked the hotel instead of the apartments. However, as the accommodation appears to be next door to the apartments and of a higher standard I really don't think you will get a reimbursement. If you explain to the management of the hotel I am sure they willlet you use the pool area of the apartments. I can't really see it as a major disaster.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

Maybe they'll let them use the pool area but I can't see them letting them use the All inclusive drinks and meals option! Even though it's a cheaper hotel!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

You are not getting the holiday you booked. Fortunately you have found this out before arrival in Majorca. Tell OTB to either change your booking to the Aparthotel (and reimburse you the extra you paid)or cancel the booking and get a refund and make a booking your self for the Aparthotel. Threaten them with court action if needed.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

If OTB have a facebook page add your complaint there as well.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

Firstly have you received email/written confirmation that your hotel has being changed from aparthotel hawai to hotel hawai,what do your accommodation vouchers say do they say aparthotel or hotel,if all says aparthotel hawai,then on the beach have a legal obligation to honur that,if theyve sent you new confirmation of the change to hotel hawai then they dont,if all says aparthotel hawai,then write a letter,stating what's happend,that all correspondence from them states aparthotel hawai,so therefore you expect them to honur that,and if they do not you are contacting,abta,and the European holiday association,as well as seeking and takeing legal action against them for not full filling there contract with you,and that you also expect a refund of the extra money they took off you,tell them,you want to hear within a week what they have decided to do about the situation,if you have not heard within a week,you are starting the above proceedings,send this by recorded deleivery,also send an email of it as well,hopefully they will give in and change your booking,but however under law and by abta they are allowed 28 days to investigate any complaints,but i wouldn't wait that long as you will be nearer to your holiday,if not heard in a week,send email to abta and to the European holiday consumer association,explaining details with a copy of letter you sent to otb,email addresses on their websites,if worse comes to worse,cancel,and book accm your self,if you realy want to be able to stay with your friends,hope ive helped,in futre check reviews on ta for futre bookings because otb,sunmaster,holidaygems all have horrible reviews and reputations,i wouldn't touch any of them

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

"I have spoke to a on the beach rep who are basically kids running a call centre and charging you 10p a min to speak to them and leave you on hold for 20 mins! They said on Friday that they cant do anything until they have corresponded with hotel but last time I left this issue with them it wasnt sorted."

This is the crux.

Phone again and set a time limit for them to reply to you. Ask first if the call is being recorded, when they say yes, say "Good!"

Simply state that if they do not return the call at the stated time that you have set, inform them that you are going to raise a credit card dispute as you have been mis-sold, and charged for an item that was misrepresented.

In the meantime, re-book directly with the apartments, a 'just in case' booking, having explained yourself to the reception/manager there.

The option to cancel the hotel part with OTB remains, as you haven't been sold what you have in writing.

Make it very clear that it is two different hotels, that the main hotel is NOT suitable, and as such, the main hotel might as well be in Morrocco for the intents and purposes of your original booking.

north east
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agent has messed up and booked us in to hawaii hotel!

Thanks for the very helpful advice, i followed your advice and messaged them that I would like moving to the apartments as was originally booked and yes it is on my booking voucher and still comes up on my account that we are going to be staying at the aprtments. Thankgod I have found this out now and not when we arrived in palma Nova!

I got a message back from someone who signed off Shaz P....fills me with great confidence about their professionalism! saying they have passed over to the dept who will try and get us booked back in to the apartments and failing that they will refund the hotel part of the booking as it is more than 28 days before we leave. I guess that is all that can be done but these are all being sent in little snippet messages via their messaging service with a different agent picking up each message Im sending.

hermanariza I understand your point about the hotels being next door to one another and the hotel being a higeher star but the problem here is that we booked to go with friends who booked seperatly in to the appartments , we all booked all inclusive and so they will be in a different hotel with a different all inclusive system and pool etc and bar and restaurant. You cannot use the AI bands from one establishment in the next. Our husbands are in the military and these are friends we only get to see once a year and we have chosen to spend a week in Palma Nova together so seemkng as I have paid over 2 grand for this holiday and its not just a case of them popping us in the hotel at no extra cost, we were not told it was the hotel and we have been charged for the privileged! now you can perhaps see the problem its posing :( Having paid this amount for a holiday its unreasonable to be expected to spend time at the apartments pool but keep going back down the hill and back up if we want a drink etc on our AI at the hotel, plus we cant dine with eachother. After paying for AI I will not be paying extra for us to all dine out!!!

Get answers to your questions about Palmanova