We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get internet

Which Port d'Alcudia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to get internet

Hi, I am going to Alcudia on May 5th and will be staying there for 2 weeks. I will live with my friend who is running a restaurant there. The thing is, he doesn't have internet access in his house, while I am a huge NBA fans and wanna at least follow the NBA playoffs news with internet there. Also I'd like to check some other news from internet while I am there.( Just cannot help with it, I'd feel I am out of civilization without internet.) So I was wondering how I can get some cheap internet access there (I have a laptop with wireless net card).

Thanks very much.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to get internet

McDonalds

Also you can buy in supermarkets and mobile phone shops a 3g sim card which can be used as a wireless modem (ive probably got the terminology wrong!)..depending on where you are you can get streaming quality for live images, but if not its at least OK for static sites. However, most of the ones we found work off a cheapish flat rate for a (relatively) small volume of data and then sky high. I pay 50€ a month for unlimited, but thats on a contract

alcudia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to get internet

there is a new internet cafe open opposite the hotel astoria playa on the corner, they have wi fi and it is very cheap.

have a nice time

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to get internet

finca_escastell:thanks a lot. I think with that 3G wireless card, I still need a wireless router first, or I can go somewhere with wireless router already installed, like you said mcdonalds. But is there any mcdonalds in Alcudia?

And I am not expecting getting any stream live games, as you said I'd pay by the volume of data, I am not that rich :)

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where to get internet

infomallorca: how much is it like to use wifi for one hour in such cafes in there? I am so spoilt by my student network here which I am not paying anything. Thanks :)

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to get internet

Im not hugely technically literate, but the Vodafone (for example) 3g cards they sell come with a USB modem the size of a USB memory stick.

You plug this into your laptop, and (at least for Windows XP and Vista) its plug and play. The modem works exactly as if you connect a mobile to your pc and dialup, but with much faster baud rates. As long as you have 3.5g mobile cell network (which from MEMORY all of Alcudia does) you can get pretty fast data transfer rates. No need for wireless router as you are effectively using Cellphone, not wifi, protocols and frequencies.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where to get internet

Thanks a lot finca_escastell, I got it.

alcudia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to get internet

the one that i mentioned you pay 5 euros for duration of stay. and in spain there is no limit to downloads like elsewhere in europe.

its opposite astoria playa.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: where to get internet

The price sounds reasonable, thanks a lot.

9. Re: where to get internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 04:32
Get answers to your questions about Port d'Alcudia