We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Sellers

Rotherham
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Sellers

Just returned from the Condessa de la Bahia and have to say the people on the beach were out in mass, have never known so many . it was at time like sunbathing in a busy market place. at one time we had FIVE fruit coco miloni pineapple sellers within 4 yards of us all at once , all shouting and competing at the top of there voices and also exchanging words. We had plain clothes police men or customs chasing a bling bling lucky lucky asda price man right past the bottom of our sunbed, We had lots of african woman wanting to braid my hair , and then the massagi massagi asking at least ten times a day if we wanted a massage . Would never ever have a massage as i think they use dirty practises , on occasions when asked we saw them very quickly rinse there hands in the sea , they go from one sweaty body to another and i shudder at the lack of hygiene , and the chances of cross contamination , if only they would use hand wipes and hand sanitisers i am sure they would get more work. I bet we said "No Thankyou at least twenty times a day !!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Sellers

They're getting worse everywhere now, not just in Alcudia. I was in Tenerife in March and they were just as bad, other places seem to be the same according to people I know that's been away already this year. I take my ipod and a book with me, they tend to just walk past although you still get the odd interruption. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in Alcudia again as i'm popping over at the weekend.

London
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Sellers

there always have been beach sellers, but they've been the right amount in alcudia. you might have see a lookie lookie guy once an hour (and he'd be the same one just walking back) or the fruit coconut guy; but now it does seem a lot more are about and offering more services. however, still nowhere near the scale as in some places.

i remember a couple of years ago experiencing an excess of beach sellers on Goa's beaches and they being really persistent as well, REALLY persistent :( your biggest error would be to say "yerh, later" or "tomorrow", thinking they would leave you alone because they would remember and come back and hold you to it as they had made the effort just to come back to you because you said so. anyway, was in goa earlier this year and they'd been banned from the beach which was loads better IMO.

i know some people like the buy/sell/haggle process, but there are places for that and it doesn't have to be on the beach. i wonder if they can enforce something in alcludia before it becomes out of hand and people are put off going there as the hawkers get more competition and have to try harder sell tactics (as in goa) which are very annoying while you're trying to chill out.

sharm el sheik
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Sellers

just ignore, they are just trying 2 make a living for the family

4. Re: Beach Sellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Port d'Alcudia